L86 Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt rogers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another cam thread . Ive looked and cant find much info on the L86 honestly. I have an 18 yukon denali, looking for good gains without losing bottom end power at all or very minor. Dont want to change convertor, not looking to add headers. Have a cold air and a catback. Def dont mind some lumpy idle but nothing obnoxious(its a daily). I read to keep the VVT and others say delete it. Any info is helpful. Was set on BTR but have read ppl say poor power gains with alot of chop at idle, then cam motion, but read they dnt make VVT cams. Its so confusing. What route should I go

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely you should delete the DOD. I just had to replace the passenger side lifters at the dealer. I only had 79k so I don’t know what caused it but I was going to different places for oil changes and I am almost sure one place didn’t use Dexos 1 gen. 2 oil. I also bought the truck at 48k but it looks like the previous owner took decent care of it. The dealer charged me 5k for the lifters and 2k for an oil leak from the pan. GM paid 1/2 so I had to pay $3200 out of pocket. I seen lifters fail for people that had the Range AFM. The only way to prevent this is to change the VOM, Camshaft & Lifters and tune out the DOD. Maybe you could do some LS7 work to the engine to get some more HP.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about just having it tuned? I got some canned tunes with my Diablo tuner and it made a night ad day difference in my 19. I can smoke the tires with traction control off and there are not too many Ford GT's running around my town that I haven't eaten for lunch.

OP
OP
M

Matt rogers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you thought about just having it tuned? I got some canned tunes with my Diablo tuner and it made a night ad day difference in my 19. I can smoke the tires with traction control off and there are not too many Ford GT's running around my town that I haven't eaten for lunch.
Im doing a cam swap bcuz of the dod delete and everything thats needed to go with it. Tune comes after that but swap needs to be done