L59 timing chain tensioner/damper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 2004 Tahoe LT L59 Flex fuel. I purchased it in 2011 with 110,000 miles on it. I've done several performances upgrades myself including headers, BBK throttle body, Mass air sensor, 3.90 gears and last week I installed a Howard's cam. Part number 197245-12 Advertised Duration 267/276, Lift .525/.525, Chevy, Small Block LS.

My question is that when I changed out the cam there was no tensionor or dampener on the timing chain. I do know that before I purchased the truck that the oil pump was replaced. So does the 2004 L59 come with a tensionor/dampener from the factory and some ******* didn't install it when the pump was changed or were they built without a tensionor/dampener? I'm not trying to be rude but please try and answer with facts and not your opinion and post where you found this information. Thanks

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

OP
OP
Maximus1

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's kinda what I thought. I went ahead and ordered a hi volume oil pump and a new timing chain, tensionor and dampener from Summit. If there's no way to install the tensionor/dampener at least summit will take them back. It's kinda hard for me to think that GM would install a single roller regular chain without tensionor. I've seen older SBC that didn't have them but they had a reinforced (different style) chain

OP
OP
Maximus1

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post an update with some pictures once I get the parts in and get it torn down. At least with taking it back apart I'll get a new high volume oil pump out of the deal if there is no way to mount the tensionor/dampenper.

OP
OP
Maximus1

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: The 2004 5.3L 325CI L59 engine does not come with any type of chain tensionor or dampener. There isn't any threaded holes in between the cam and crank gears nor are there any off to the side or behind the oil pump. Absolutely nothing at all. I hope that this post can help future mechanics. I think it's kinda strange for GM to leave this off this engine but I guess it was never intended for high horsepower since it's mostly in their SUV's