Kenwood excelon vs pioneer avic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To stay at a competitive one point would be my guess and that car play and Android auto is an option a lot will not choose nav anymore.
Yea from what Panasonic just told me as long as your en route using CarPlay or android play for Nav and you hit a dead spot the radio should still keep the signal for navigation. I’ll keep you guys posted regardless as to how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea from what Panasonic just told me as long as your en route using CarPlay or android play for Nav and you hit a dead spot the radio should still keep the signal for navigation. I’ll keep you guys posted regardless as to how it works.

I prefer using Android auto versus factory nav as it is always up to date and shows traffic info.

Monz11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Alpine X308U 8” In-Dash Bluetooth CarPlay Android Navigation GPS Car Receiver. I boightbit in Ebay and offered the guy 1K. He took it. Money is tight for some most eight now, so you can score in some serious deals.
I also picked up the wood grain surround dash panel, off ebay to compete the install.

I'm in middle of entire rebuild, so its sitting here waiting for engine and tranny rebuilds, so I'll hv power to do install.

B2sdad

Reaction score
I have a Kenwood in my truck and the pioneer in my suburban. Been using both brands on and off for 25 years or so. Kenwood has better Navigation (garmin), but if you connect CarPlay, you now have access to google maps, and Maps (Apple). The new Excelon decks are nice!

However I really like my pioneer avic deck! It does everything I need it to and more, both units are packed with features, but with all that being said I say I like the Pioneer more than I like my Kenwood.

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Kenwood in my truck and the pioneer in my suburban. Been using both brands on and off for 25 years or so. Kenwood has better Navigation (garmin), but if you connect CarPlay, you now have access to google maps, and Maps (Apple). The new Excelon decks are nice!

However I really like my pioneer avic deck! It does everything I need it to and more, both units are packed with features, but with all that being said I say I like the Pioneer more than I like my Kenwood.

This was probably the best answer I’ve got so far on the subject.Thanks for the honest input on both brands. Can’t argue with a guy that owns both.In the end I went with the pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX. Having it installed tomorrow. I’ll post pics and videos after.

B2sdad

Reaction score
This was probably the best answer I’ve got so far on the subject.Thanks for the honest input on both brands. Can’t argue with a guy that owns both.In the end I went with the pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX. Having it installed tomorrow. I’ll post pics and videos after.

Glad I could help Sir!

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I could help Sir!

Definitely did Man.Nowadays it’s like having to many choices on the menu. Makes the decision that much harder.

B2sdad

Reaction score
Definitely did Man.Nowadays it’s like having to many choices on the menu. Makes the decision that much harder.

True, but you had the right idea in the first place. Prioritize what you need from your deck, read up on the product, demo it if possible. Purchase, install and enjoy!

ATLPPV

Reaction score
Did you get any pics of the Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX installed. I'm curious how it looks in our interior.

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- Nav is not needed for our head unit search. You’ll use Waze or whatever via Apple/ android car play.

I have a Yukon Denali with factory nav system and I stopped using it years ago for my phones waze, Apple maps. My other vehicles have car play so it’s all on the head unit and I don’t use those factory navs either.

The kenwood has 5v pre amp output which helps so much. The ddx9907xr type models come with 2 usb inputs vs dmx/dnx (10.1”) have 1 usb. May be important if you’re running Dsp,portable DAC etc..

Kenwood also updates with new options vs some others who just rerelease with same ole crap.

Hope this helps a few. I’m happy to help answer any questions as well. I’m pretty tied into the sound quality side of car audio.