$200 Android head unit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ever wondered what a $200 android head unit will get you. I finally had mine installed. It's an Eincar model Y-A257. (If you search their site with that model number www.eincar.com it's the third one for $199.) But the same model you'll see sold under many different brand names all over the internet, on amazon and Ebay. But check the specs. Each case can be outfitted with any number of internals. Mine has these basic specs. And was the best deal for the money I could find:

DVD Mechanism Yes, DVD/CD Player
Operating System Android
GPS Navigation Yes
TV Tuner None
Unit Size 2 Din
Screen Size 6.2"
Touch Screen Type Capacitive Multi-Touch
Remote Control Yes
Internet WiFi+Dongle
Mirror Link Yes
iPod Connection No
CPU Processor 2GHZ Quad-Core
Brand EinCar
Basic Features Bluetooth, RDS/FM/AM Radio receiver, AUX/USB/SD input, Steering Wheel control, Car Logo, built-in Microphone, touchscreen, backup camera input, subwoofer, Amplifier, region-free, Multi-language, MP3, Music player, EQ, wall-paper, HD 1080P..

It also accepts a 32gb sd card. And many other features I haven't even gotten into yet.

The same unit with Kenwood or Pioneer branding would cost you easily upwards of $800+. And for $200 it's an awesome head unit IMHO. Keep in mind, all I wanted from the start was a new head unit that I could play music, watch videos and plug a back up camera too. As well as use with my phones mobile hot spot - so that the head unit has internet access.

Here's a review video of the same unit but older. It runs android 4.1 and mine runs android 5.1. He does a much better job of explaining what the unit will do.

If there are drawbacks it's that I don't think this unit will work with multiple screens in the back of your car. It has rca outs. But I think at best you could play whatever was on the head unit on the screens in the back of your vehicle. In other words I don't think it has multiple zones - I think it's called.

The best thing that I was worried about is the fact that this units back up camera input overrides everything else. Meaning as soon as you turn the car on and put it in reverse the backup camera comes on and is immediately working - no lag time at all. Even during the 30 second boot up phase. I was worried that you had to wait for it to boot up everytime. And this was the one main reason I bought this unit. I could have gotten an in rear view mirror unit with backup camera.

Here's my unit installed in a 2007 GMC Yukon XL:

ntCkow8.jpg

s8IbQ4t.jpg

gFN2xTk.jpg

Backup camera looks like shit and the wireless cuts out. Word of advice? Go with wired. I just ordered a new cam that mounts under the latch. And is wired.

ta5JB4s.jpg

Only glitch with my unit is it's supposed to be android 5.1 and it's 4.4. Anyone know how to upgrade this?

Last edited:

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool for the money. I might have to look at how that would integrate with my 09 LTZ with bose and a backup camera already.

OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was done as soon as you said 30 second boot up time. That would absolutely drive me crazy. I like my Sony to be up and Bluetooth engaged before I can get my seatbelt latched.

I try to be fair when I write a review. The good, the bad and the ugly are below and above. If you're looking for a backup cam and one set of monitors playing what the head unit is - this is the unit for you. I've passed the kid rearing years where separate back seat monitors are mandantory for your sanity. ;) So to find a head unit that does almost everything an $800+ one does - for $200 - is a godsend. But to address your comments and share a bit more:

I think the phone and the back up cam start immediately. I know the boot up time on this isn't any slower than other units. I've only used the bluetooth on my phone once. I'll test that. The back up camera for sure starts right away. The radio also starts right away if that's what I had on when I turned it off. And the cd/dvd may do the same. So I'm not sure what I'd be missing with any shorter of a boot time. For me I only bought it to show a back up cam and have a radio. But I got so much more for just $200.

The unit is 5.1. I'll fix my post. The boot screen says 4.4 but when you go into "about this unit" in settings it shows the correct 5.1 android.

For $200 vs $800. I'm VERY happy. The call quality is perfect. And links with my android phone without any work. DVD's play perfectly. The back up camera when working works great. That's an issue of the wireless I have set up. I'll be going wired in a couple days. And a new camera that mounts under the latch instead of that monstrosity mounted on the license plate. Even with the crappy wireless connect to the back up camera it comes on RIGHT away when I jump in, start it up, and put it in reverse. So I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND A WIRED BACK UP CAM. The radio is rock solid. And has so much more than the unit that was in my rig stock. Too many options to list. CD's play flawlessly. I still need to set up a micro sd card and play some stuff off of it. You can play games on it. Download any app you want. I haven't used it's nav system. As my phone is better. I'll play with it more though. Maybe another gps app is better than my phone - like the guys in that video review. Or screen mirroring. Who knows?

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this over the US units in a heartbeat. But only if your not interested in running more than one set of monitors. You do have to pay extra for that.

*Although I have not researched the android units that might be a little more than $200 that offer that feature. Who knows. You might find one for $300. I just didn't have the time or need to research that.

I also don't have small kids anymore. And everyone uses their own phones. So I didn't want a balls out multiple monitor set up that might add problems later anyway. But I certainly understand those of you that do. My first Yukon had the drop down monitor and wireless headphones. That kept my kid happy for so many years on so many trips to everything from the store to long distance. I get it. It's a godsend to have a video playing for your kids in the back seat. While you listen to the radio or talking on the phone thru the cars speakers or.... With this unit I find myself playing what I want on the head unit thru the Yukons speakers. And my kid in the back (he's 16) uses his own phone and earbuds to watch on his phone. He'd have his head stuck in his own phone anyway. Even if I did offer him a monitor in the back. lol.

If I had gone to Crutchfield and had them install their $200 unit. It would lack SOOOOO much. It would also be a probably 1ghz or less unit. Mine is 2ghz and has way more ram. And will take a 32gb sd card - if not 64 IIRC. I think the crutchfield unit was even less - and those losers don't even list all the specs for their radios. I'm also not even remembering everything this unit does. Nor have I found out everything it does. As I haven't played with it enough. Just so many options for a car stereo - it's not really a stereo anymore - it's a pc in your car running android. I think I can even install a front cam and record it with the sd card.

Even if I went with their android unit from Crutchfield it would have cost me $800+ just for the head unit. So your looking at probably $1200 installed with all the other things you need. Mine is at about $500 installed. That's with the head unit, all the accessories you need to hook it up and mount it and installation. (And with a relay so you can watch while moving.) Which took about 2 hours (total installation time). So if you don't need more than one video channel - meaning whatever you see on screen you can pump out to as many monitors as you want (music, videos etc.) - this unit is so close to the US units I just don't see the value in spending another $700 for one.

(And in reality my Yukon is a simple 4x4 with leather seats and two benches. I sort of chose it that way. I wanted something simple with as little accessories that could break (motorized steps, motorized mirros, various options on the Denali etc. etc. There are to many things on cars these days to go bad. That you're almost guaranteeing you'll get soaked on the back end for repairs of said parts. That you might not or don't even need.) It doesn't even have a sunroof. Which is about the only other thing I'd like to have on this. It's a beautiful Birch Metallic with light grey seats and nice light brown but matching trim. And it's real 4 wheel drive not just AWD. Although it does have AWD in that it has an Auto setting on the 4x4 and low and high. About the only option I'd like above the sunroof in a perfect world is the 6.2L engine. The 5.3L isn't the strongest. But it's not sluggish either. I get around with plenty of boost. But the 6.2L is faster and gets the same gas mileage. I don't think it's an option on a non Denali. But I may be incorrect about that.)

So anyway the head unit is great. The only thing I've f'ed up so far is I changed the resolution to the higher setting. And it moved my settings icon off the screen. Anyone know how to access settings in an android head unit? Other than the homescreen icon? Otherwise I'm just gonna have to have the install place reset it to factory specs and reprogram the steering wheel etc. This unit did come direct from China to me. Although many sell from the US on amazon and ebay. But with a slightly higher markup. Joying is one. As is Pumpkin. Even other models of mine are sold on Amazon under the Eincar brand. You can read the reviews for yourself. Some units in the past came not so great from the factory or seller. But my advice would be to take the chance and just return it if it's f'd up. But with android it's pretty rock solid. That operating system is alot more known and solid than say a WindowsCE IMHO.

Next up I might put in headrest monitors in the back of the front seats. Just incase I have passengers that aren't super phone friendly and want something to watch with me.

I can't recommend Pacific 1 Car Audio in Inglewood CA enough. (I can't say "Inglewood" without drawing it out like Snoop Dogg! LOL!) It's in the hood. But so worth it. These guys serve the community that probably does more stereo customizing than other neighborhoods. They know what they are doing. And they are fast. And VERY fair price wise. My entire install was like $120 I think? And they made it do everything I wanted off my laundry list of wants I gave them. And they have no problem installing any parts you bring in yourself. My entire set up was from China at the cheapest price. They didn't bat an eyelash. They just installed it.

Lastly, eincar has MANY different models to choose from for even less than $200. And many that are more than $200. But it maxes out at about $350. Mostly from add ons they sell with the units. This $200 unit has all the bells and whistles I wanted. It hits a sweet spot for me. But again, I don't have small kids. :)

OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool for the money. I might have to look at how that would integrate with my 09 LTZ with bose and a backup camera already.

It can hook up directly to your existing Bose speakers and back up camera. Mine is using the stock non bose speakers from my Yukon flawlessly. I might be wrong about the camera if it's the stock one. GM may have made it so it only works with their units. But back up cameras are like $20-$40. So no big there. But if you have an aftermarket back up camera installed now. It will hook up to this unit no problem. Video signal is video signal. It's like water thru a pipe. It may have something other than RCA connections (but most likely will) and even if it doesn't you can easily rewire the connector you need or your installer can. Perhaps even using a cheap adaptor. But chances are great that almost every cam uses standard RCA connections to plug right into your head unit. Just be sure to go wired and not wireless. I spoke to my install tech and he said backup cams wireless transceivers are hit or miss. Mine was miss. Or the XL is just to long to keep a good signal. I'd also suggest this camera:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0K7-0099-00024

It's the same one Crutchfield sells. But for a lower price. There are hundreds of cameras out there. But I figure Crutchfield must vet these units to make sure they won't end up with a ton of returns. And it's CCD not CMOS. Which is a better set of electronics. It has the lines in it. And it comes with the extra wiring harness for wiring it from the head unit back to the back bumper. And it mounts up under the lift gate latch. Which is a prime location imho. The license plate mount like I got is stupid looking imho.

I also used Yelp to locate a good stereo install shop in my area. Companies that participate on Yelp go far and beyond to keep their ratings. As much of their business comes from there. And you can read real reviews. From people that have used each place. If nothing else you'll avoid the really bad ones. They come up on Yelp too. You can also request a quote directly thru Yelp for free. And the companies get back to you within sometimes an hour or less. Sometimes a few. I had a price and install date within an hour with mine.

Jefro Shmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get that Alpine unit. 9 Inch screen and all the bells and whistles

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to look into this. My kids are small but they are all stuck to ipods and kindles anyway and hook to my hotspot on my phone the minute we get in the car. I know you said android system but i got forced into apple b.s. by no other then, the kids. u think there would be difficulties with an apple phone connecting to this thing and does it get xm radio, when i go on long trips i like xm radio (i pay for a 6 mth subscription for whatever deal they got going (this last trip was 19.99 or something)then cancel after 6 mths) thanks for the review brother.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can read up on it and find out about an iphone working with it. But I don't see why not. It's a really great unit. I can't tell you how happy I am with it. Everything that I need starts up right away when I start the car - radio or back up cam or dvd or whatever. I'm also sure XM would connect too. But again I'd have to read up on it.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RCA outs + a splitter should make this work fine with mulitple rear monitors id imagine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu