Keeps dieing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stlou2381

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 92 yukon sle. replaced sending unit, pump, filter, relay, ignition coil, and still cuts off when it wants to. can't seem to find the problem. NEED HELP

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
:welcome: Can you extract a diagnostic code to look up? Can you described the circumstanes when it dies. Takes a while?, instantly?, anything else out of the ordinary?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just throwing a few wild cards out...

Maybe faulty ignition switch?
Loose ECM fuse or plug?
Corroded grounds?
Loose nut behind the wheel?
Fuel pressure regulator going bad? IE. spring heats up and weakens causing loss of fuel?

Need some specifics bud, does it just die? does it stumble then die?
Is it during idle, under power, when put into reverse or drive?
Or when changing power source from flux capacitor to anti matter drive? :hmm:

OP
OP
S

stlou2381

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tbi and regulator both rebuilt. I can drive maybe a 5-10 sometimes and sometime cant make it out of the driveway. It just instantly dies no hesitation or warning. I can get it to start back up but the time always differs. Had similar problem a few years ago but it was due to the temp sensor. Any help is appreciated.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gonna put my money on somethig being loose...

I would grab a 6pack and start on the engine bay, unplug everything one plug at a time, clean contacts with electric contact cleaner, put fresh dielectric greese on each and see what happens..
Check all fuses and relay contacts for corrosion, replace them as needed etc...
If anything you will be 100% confident that all plugs and contacts are clean and they are NOT the prblem..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Use this procedure to see if you get any trouble codes please:

READING DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES:
The means of communicating with the control module is the Data Link Connector (DLC) located under the instrument panel and is sometimes covered by a plastic cover labeled "DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR." The DLC is used in the assembly plant to receive engine information to determine proper operation before it leaves the plant. The Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) stored in the control module memory can be displayed by counting the number of flashes of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) (Service Engine Soon) when the diagnostic terminal of the DLC is grounded. The DLC terminal "B" (diagnostic terminal) is the second terminal from the right of the DLC top row. The terminal is most easily grounded by connecting it to terminal "A" (internal control module ground), which is located to the right of terminal "B" on the top row of the DLC.

When terminals "A" and "B" have been connected, the ignition switch must be turned to the "ON" position with the engine NOT operating. The MIL (Service Engine Soon) should flash DTC 12 three times consecutively. This would be the following flash sequence: One flash, pause, two flashes, long pause, one flash, pause, two flashes, long pause, one flash, pause, two flashes. DTC 12 indicates that the control module diagnostic system is operating properly. If DTC 12 is NOT indicated, a fault is present within the diagnostic system itself, and should be addressed by consulting the appropriate diagnostic chart.

Following the output of DTC 12, the MIL will indicate any DTC three times consecutively. However if no other codes are present will continue to repeat DTC 12. If more than one diagnostic trouble code has been stored in the control module memory, the DTC's will be displayed from the lowest to the highest with each DTC being displayed three times.

DIAGNOSTIC MODE:
When the diagnostic terminal is grounded with the ignition "ON" and the engine "OFF," the system will enter the diagnostic mode. In this mode, the control module will:

• Display a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 12 by flashing the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) "Service Engine Soon" (indicating that the system is operating properly).
  • Display any stored DTC's by flashing the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) "Service Engine Soon." Each DTC will be flashed three times, then DTC will be flashed again.
  • Energize all control module controlled relays and solenoids except the fuel pump relay. This allows checking circuits which may be difficult to energize without driving the vehicle and being under particular operating conditions.
  • Move the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve to its fully extended position on most models, blocking the idle air passage. This is useful in checking the minimum idle speed.
FIELD SERVICE MODE:
If the diagnostic terminal is grounded with the engine running, the system will enter the "Field Service" mode.

In this mode, the MIL "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light will indicate whether the system is in OPEN or CLOSED LOOP operation.

If the system is in OPEN LOOP operation, the light will flash approximately two and one-half times per second.

CLOSED LOOP operation is indicated by the light flashing approximately once per second. Also, in "CLOSED LOOP" the light will stay "OFF" most of the time if the system is running lean. It will stay "ON" most of the time if the system is running rich.

While the system is in the "Field Service" mode, new codes cannot be stored in the control module and the "CLOSED LOOP" timer is bypassed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stlou2381

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sunlit thanks for the info. unfortunately i have limited tools available to me (code scannner). i do my own work that needs to be done because i cant trust mechanic shops. i do however think my problem may be in the tank, or the pcm. the truck never has the service light on only brake light and i believe its from my leaking wheel cylinder. i was given the truck by my grandfather and i refuse to sell it but its been down since november and MAYBE has actually run for about a week since.

ChiTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you cycle the key on BEFORE starting does the check engine light light up?
If not your bulb is burnt out, replace it and if the light comes on then you have codes. Pull them with what Sunlitcomet suggested using a paperclip works. If it does not come on with the engine on then you have no codes then you need to start component testing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia