Just completed 3400 road trip...2016 Yukon.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have owned our 2016 Yukon SLE for a year now and we just completed a 3400 mile holiday road trip.

We started in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl and headed north to my wife's parent's home in Plano (Dallas), TX then north to Ada, OK. After a few days in Oklahoma it was back to Dallas for a week and then on to my College Alma Mater in Tuscaloosa, AL to visit my Dad. The final leg was this past Thursday, getting out ahead of the approaching snow and ice storm, driving 11 hours back to Ft. Lauderdale.

This trip was an excellent opportunity to enjoy the Yukon doing what it was intended to do...transport families and their gear in comfort and safety. I really enjoyed the addition of the two modifications I have made to this Yukon...the Diablo In Tune2 Tuner and the upgrade of the Head and Fog lights to LED using the Race Sport Packages. I have tuned for 93 Octane fuel and paid on the average $2.65 per gallon across 5 states. The total trip average MPG, including high speed cruising (85+ MPH), city driving, country back roads and a bit of off roading was 18.2 MPG. My best mileage was on country 2 lane blacktop running 65-70 with 4 adults and luggage...23 MPG. The worst was in traffic around Dallas, including sitting in traffic jams on expressways...13.1 MPG. The light upgrade was awesome. I drove through rain and fog for several hundred miles across southern Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana after dark on day one. The LED head/fog combination lighted the dark roadway in front of us very well. I really saw the difference on dark, wet asphalt that usually sucks up light and causes fatigue and anxiety. As I passed traffic ahead of me, the comparison of the brightness and clearness of the road ahead vs. the vehicle I was passing was striking to say the least. Several times I was able to run long distances with the cruise set at 90 (Beltronics or equal is a must) and would start to pick up "tag alongs". The quick cure for that problem is a quick run up to 125 for a few miles (thanks to Diablo) and suddenly I was able to slow back down to my 90 MPH cruise...less the "tag alongs". Most cars and SUV's on the road can't stay with you at those speeds as one dismayed Lexus LX 570 found out !!

For navigation, I used Android Auto for on screen mapping and Onstar for turn by turn instructions in tricky un familiar areas...great combination. We have both our phones synced to the Yukon and with the on board Wi Fi we never lost Cell signal...even in the most remote areas. The ability to say " OK Google...where is the closest Chic Fil A ?...is a huge convenience !!

So after 14 days and 3400 plus miles we truly enjoyed traveling in the Yukon. It's big, comfortable, quiet, fast and reasonably economical for what it is. On each leg of the trip whether it was a 13 hour run or a short trip across town, we were always comfortable.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up! 18.2 average is great at those speeds.

Did you post previously about your LED upgrade? I've been procrastinating on that front but need to do something. Drove my wife's Buick envision (with articulating hids) and could not believe how much more clearly you can see at night.

OP
OP
Yukon John

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up! 18.2 average is great at those speeds.

Did you post previously about your LED upgrade? I've been procrastinating on that front but need to do something. Drove my wife's Buick envision (with articulating hids) and could not believe how much more clearly you can see at night.

Look at postings by me earlier in December...details with pics. Great lights make all the difference on long drives in rural areas. In the city under street lights the difference is noticeable...but out on the road away from city lights the difference is stunning !!

latapx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never thought of posting about a road trip, but I just did something similar...with VERY similar results! Took the Suburban with the family out to Butler, TN. Drove a total of 2,372 miles, burned 130.7 gallons for an average of 18.1MPG. Now, I was carrying 8 people plus about 400lbs of gear so I figured I was rolling down the road at around 7000lbs. I had the cruise set at 82 to 84 on the flats and was going just slow enough to not make everyone throw up once we got into the mountains and twisties! lol Similar to John, I'm also running the intune with a custom diablew tune on 93 octane. I was relatively impressed with the mileage as I wouldn't have expected that from a 7000lb brick!

To be fair, I wouldn't call the 5.3l "lacking", but I did miss the low end torque from my EcoBoost F-150 (its dynoed torque peak at the wheels was over 550 @ 3100RPM!). I felt like I had to rev the 5.3l more than I would have in my EcoBoost but overall it did well considering the load. I'll also be looking up John's lighting post as I also miss my HIDs!!!

I attached a photo of where I stayed...wish I was still there!

Butler, TN.jpg

ktpinnacle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful spot. Nice shot. And 8 people!?!?! You sure packed them in and got the max use out of that truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518