its time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

franksbanks

Reaction score
Gad Dam rear main seal is toast!
looked under last night due to the amount of “excessive” (according to the wife) oil drops on my garage floor-
I found out it was leaking after I bought it and knew it would only get worse… it has 172k
It will only make sense to also get the transmission ( and the transfer case) rebuild since trans will be need to be removed to access the back of the engine- I have no history of what repairs were done by previous owner(s) and i would want to get it done so it can last me a few more years..

I’m not that familiar with the transmissions on these trucks? (03 yukon denali AWD) is it a 4L60e or a 4L80e? there’s a couple of salvage yards in my town that have transmissions with 60k+ for around $800 and shops that rebuild them for 900+300 (combo with transfer case)
What do you guys suggest? Should I rebuild or upgrade to a 4L80e (if it already doesn’t have it) I plan to keep this truck until the wheels fall off..lol

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
-Bobby

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the tranny and transfer case are giving you any issues I'd leave them alone and just replace the rear main on the engine.

I'm not a fan of rebuilding a trans unless it needs it. Too many folks I know have had their rebuilt trannys not shifting as nice as stock. Of course they went to Aamaco or some random shop to have the work done.

Why mess with something that's not broken? Who knows, the tranny may go until the wheels fall off the way it is, or maybe a rebuilt trans croaks soon after you install it or doesn't shift the way you like.

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
03 denali should have the 4L65e trans, which is supposed to be a little bit stronger than the 60, but at the least, a filter and fluid change for that and the transfer case as well is recommended. The rear main is relatively easy to do once you are in there.

OP
OP
franksbanks

franksbanks

Reaction score
Unless the tranny and transfer case are giving you any issues I'd leave them alone and just replace the rear main on the engine.

I'm not a fan of rebuilding a trans unless it needs it. Too many folks I know have had their rebuilt trannys not shifting as nice as stock. Of course they went to Aamaco or some random shop to have the work done.

Why mess with something that's not broken? Who knows, the tranny may go until the wheels fall off the way it is, or maybe a rebuilt trans croaks soon after you install it or doesn't shift the way you like.

It slips when I get on it. Specially on 2-3 .. Fluid is pretty bad (burnt color) and the transfer case is humming.

OP
OP
franksbanks

franksbanks

Reaction score
03 denali should have the 4L65e trans, which is supposed to be a little bit stronger than the 60, but at the least, a filter and fluid change for that and the transfer case as well is recommended. The rear main is relatively easy to do once you are in there.

Thanks for the info. I was planning on doing the filter and fluid change , however I feel it's not going to make it after the service (it's already starting to slip). There are a few rebuilt shops that sell their 4l65e's for 675 +core

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was planning on doing the filter and fluid change , however I feel it's not going to make it after the service (it's already starting to slip). There are a few rebuilt shops that sell their 4l65e's for 675 +core

That's not a bad price, I had a little over a grand in doing mine, plus I had a couple upgraded parts installed while I was at it. Did you find anything out about your transfer case at all? Or what to look for if you take it apart yourself?

OP
OP
franksbanks

franksbanks

Reaction score
That's not a bad price, I had a little over a grand in doing mine, plus I had a couple upgraded parts installed while I was at it. Did you find anything out about your transfer case at all? Or what to look for if you take it apart yourself?

I have a feeling that’s how much im going to end up paying at the end-

I would take it apart myself, but I don’t have enough time in my schedule to get it all done, especially if something gets messed up- I would be left without a car for a week minimum and I cant take that risk right now.

It started leaking way more now- so im going to have to get it done this weekend or sooner-

Is there something else back there (by the firewall ) that could also be causing a oil leak?

Attachments

• oil1.jpg
    oil1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 14
  • oil2.jpg
    oil2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member