iPhone 8 wireless charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours works ? all the time ? i have a 2016 Denali what did you do exactly i have removed the magnet only and it worked for about ten minutes and after that nothing did it about a week ago too

So far it has worked exactly I would have expected it to from the factory. I had about an hour drive last night last night, with the iPhone constantly being picked up, used, and placed back on the charging pad. It worked the entire time.

All I did was remove the entire module from the truck, took out just the magnet from the module, and then replaced the module (sans magnet) back in the truck.

Like I said, I only have an hour of drive time so far, maybe it'll take more time before it stops working. I'll make an update if/when it no longer works.

WestTxFrog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yours works ? all the time ? i have a 2016 Denali what did you do exactly i have removed the magnet only and it worked for about ten minutes and after that nothing did it about a week ago too

Same with me. I removed the magnet only and it worked for ten minutes so I put all back together and then it never worked again. I have a 2015 Tahoe.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far mine has worked without any issues after removing only the magnet. I did notice though that it will only work if I put the phone with the top of the phone pointing towards the back of the truck. If I put the phone down with the top of the phone pointing towards the front of the truck, it won't work.

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so are you saying i have to put another magnet back to make this work or just leave the magnet out and i should be fine? I just took the magnet out and it doesn't work

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, so the wireless charging works fine with current Samsungs and my Microsoft phone that came out 3 years ago, but it won't work with the current and previous generation of iPhones? Good one (again) Apple.

L's Truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, so the wireless charging works fine with current Samsungs and my Microsoft phone that came out 3 years ago, but it won't work with the current and previous generation of iPhones? Good one (again) Apple.
My Note 8 doesn't charge. I'll have to do some searching.

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My Note 8 doesn't charge. I'll have to do some searching.

15-17 GM Vehicles with wireless charging don’t fully support the Qi standards. Do the mod, by removing the magnet and your Note 8 S8 iPhone 8 or X will charge just fine.

MainahBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own a 16 LT Hoe-first American car I have owned since 1975. Bought this for a few reasons but one of them was the wireless charging. Went to the dealer last week for an oil change and complained that this wireless charger did not conform to the Qi specs. They tested it with a Samsung phone said it worked fine. Called GM warranty folks yesterday and they seemed interested but non-committal so I doubt they are going to do anything about it. I saw this fix on this forum and Youtube and I pulled the magnet out and then tried (with and without the flimsy circuit board under the coil) but nothing-although at one point for a brief second, I had a RED lightning bolt. (Not sure what that means)

Am now looking at another alternative-Crutchfield sells the Brandmotion FDMC 1273 which is designed to fit in the existing cutout. It is $199 and there is only one review so I am skeptical but still interested.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk