Intermittent starting issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so for couple months I have been having issues with my Tahoe cranking. Can go days with no problems then take 1 attempt or numerous attempts turning the key moving the gear shifter and trying again. I replaced the neutral safety switch today. Started it numerous times no issue then when leaving my house it wouldn’t crank. After two attempts it fired up. I haven’t checked the wires to the starter yet will do that later this evening or in the morning. But what else could it be. I’ve swapped the relays before and it had no affect.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 03 Silverado did that and after replacing the ignition and having safety switch checked etc it turned out to be a intermittent bad starter, replaced starter problem gone,
but this was just my case, could be a variety of things, you could pull the starter and manually bench test it, it's pretty easy to do.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 03 Silverado did that and after replacing the ignition and having safety switch checked etc it turned out to be a intermittent bad starter, replaced starter problem gone,
but this was just my case, could be a variety of things, you could pull the starter and manually bench test it, it's pretty easy to do.

Thought about doing that. Just wasn’t sure if it would prove anything due to it being hit and miss on when it happens. Can go a couple days no issues then it happen and take several attempts for it to crank. Guess I’ll be drop it when I check the grounds.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought about doing that. Just wasn’t sure if it would prove anything due to it being hit and miss on when it happens. Can go a couple days no issues then it happen and take several attempts for it to crank. Guess I’ll be drop it when I check the grounds.
the problem with it being intermittent is having to throw money at it till it gets resolved, that being said rockauto has good prices, lol
the next time it starts doing it is when you need a helper and a meter to see if the starter solenoid is getting juice

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the problem with it being intermittent is having to throw money at it till it gets resolved, that being said rockauto has good prices, lol
the next time it starts doing it is when you need a helper and a meter to see if the starter solenoid is getting juice
Yea I been pricing starters and I got a meter so hopefully if it does it again I’ll have someone around. Every time it does it I’m either alone or don’t have a meter with me. Lol

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an update and little FYI for anyone else needing it. Starter was the issue. I put one on two weeks ago and haven’t had an issue since. Thanks for all the help and advice.
Thanks for coming back and updating. So many people fix the problem and we never hear what the solution was.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for coming back and updating. So many people fix the problem and we never hear what the solution was.
No problem. It’s hard to nail down things like this. So after I replaced the neutral safety switch and discovering it wasn’t the issue I wanted to pass along what fixed it. Hoping it will save someone else some aggravation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman