Intermittent Electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigskirig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m having some really strange but perhaps related issues with my 2016 Denali XL. Two events, both seemed to resolve themselves with a restart after a couple hours of not running.

First issue, I was towing a trailer and needed to use 4hi for a moment due to some loose sand. The cluster flashed “service 4wd” and the truck was clearly stuck in 4 hi. Tried restarting, backing up, etc and couldn’t get it to disengage. After a couple hours of shut down it went back to 2wd no problem.

Second issue- cooler morning start, and the dash cluster is basically reading service every system (stability, theft, airbag, etc). Tach works but speedo doesn’t, truck seems to run/drive ok. Restart doesn’t clear issues but after sitting two hours it is gone again.

I suspect a bad ground or connection. The dealer is looking but codes are elusive. Hoping someone has solved for this before! Any particular spots to check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SubSonic

Reaction score
My Camaro would occasionally pull shit where the entire dash control system, knobs / buttons would have no effect. Usually changes made would be displayed on screen, but when this happened nothing would function--including HVAC, so you were stuck wherever it was left.

Restarting wouldn't help, only letting it sit or disconnecting the battery and grounding would solve it. Happened about 5 times in 4-1/2 years. But always fixed itself. Wouldn't be surprised if a computer software update would help. How often does it happen?

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might check the battery? Make sure it can hold a load. New vehicles and computers are very susceptible to good constant voltage.

Otherwise, for the dash it could be a “cold solder joint”—a solder joint that is not quite made right and acts up intermittently, especially when cold.

For the service 4wd, could be in the controller behind the dial or the shift motor in the tc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645