Intermittent AC - Temp Sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwing

Reaction score
Howdy all. Got a problem I hope you can help with. My '07 Tahoe LT with 260k that I've owned for 7 years has decided just working like normal is boring and has decided to throw me a curve ball.

The AC (I'm in Phoenix BTW) seems to be going in and out. Like it will blow ice cold for about 2 or 3 minutes, then warm like it's just recirculating the air in the cabin... which is pretty warm when it's 110F outside... then back to cold for a bit, then back up. There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason, meaning there's no action I can identify that will predict a warming cycle following.

I've checked both radiator fans (it's done that before), I've checked the charge (it's done that before), I've checked to make sure the clutch on the compressor isn't cycling on and off (it's done that before), and all checked out A-OK.

I've been scouring google all morning because I just can't take it not working anymore. Near as I can tell it's either the temp sensor or blend door. I can buy that :). Here's where it falls apart...

For the temp sensor, I can't figure out what it's called to find one and order it, and even if I did I can't find it in the truck. There's apparently a lot of temp sensors in this thing. So... what can I search to buy one to make sure it's the right one and where the hell do I find it in the vehicle to replace it?

Similar question with the blend door. Where do I find it to even look at it and troubleshoot it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. All the stuff I can find pointing me to the diagnosis all seem devoid or contradictory when it comes to answering the above questions and if I try to answer those questions directly through searching I keep running into the temp sensor in the bumper, the coolant temp sensor, the intake air temp sensor, the rear blend door, the rear temp sensor(s), or just a different vehicle or generation of Tahoe all together. I ain't got enough mind left to afford losing this much of what I got, LOL.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could possibly be low refrigerant? They have reduced the full load quite a bit over the years and even a bit low will make for problems.

OP
OP
K

Kwing

Reaction score
Swathdiver, I can't afford a tech 2, LOL. What are my other options to verify? Are resistance values publically available where I could ohm it out? And when you say it's in the headliner, does that mean I have to drop that pig again? I dropped it a few years ago to fix the crummy rear ducting that delaminated and that was a VERY long day :(.

Tom3, I did check the charge and it's right where I left it last year when I swapped out the compressor.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Swathdiver, I can't afford a tech 2, LOL. What are my other options to verify? Are resistance values publically available where I could ohm it out? And when you say it's in the headliner, does that mean I have to drop that pig again? I dropped it a few years ago to fix the crummy rear ducting that delaminated and that was a VERY long day :(.

Tom3, I did check the charge and it's right where I left it last year when I swapped out the compressor.
And where would that charge be? What pressures and can you duplicate the problem and see the charge pressures at the same time? If the charge is good, I lean toward a blend door problem that is intermittent, but others will respond.

OP
OP
K

Kwing

Reaction score
And where would that charge be? What pressures and can you duplicate the problem and see the charge pressures at the same time? If the charge is good, I lean toward a blend door problem that is intermittent, but others will respond.
48 on the low side, 280-290 on the high side IIRC. High side's fuzzy because that was a couple weeks ago and I focus on the low side on this truck. The rubber flaps on either side of the radiator are long gone and I haven't found replacements, so at idle it starts recirculating the hot air and makes the high side do some wierd stuff.

I tried to watch the pressures and match their behaviors to the heating up, but when it felt warmer I couldn't make out any pressure changes.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just to recap….it blows ice cold then not anymore but the compressor is still engaged?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the front “goes warm” what is the rear doing? Still cold or also warm?

OP
OP
K

Kwing

Reaction score
When the front “goes warm” what is the rear doing? Still cold or also warm?
Near as I can tell still cold and steady. The rear's always been a bit like an asthmatic running a marathon breathing through a straw, even after sealing the ducting, so there's not a ton of air coming out on a good day. When the front's not pulling it's load, it so hot in the back you have to be right up on the vents to feel any cold. So in its current state, if the rear went warm, you'd have a hard time of telling, if that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14