intermediate shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
here is some good info on the intermediate stearing shaft

If you have a GMT800 body style truck/SUV you probably know about the intermediate steering shaft making the horrible knocking/popping when turning and going over bumps.

Here's a little walkthrough to help you replace that steering shaft with the new designed, non-greased, steering shaft. Part number 19153614

Important:

• I-shaft P/N 19153614 has been designed to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened I-shafts. The physical difference in the yoke size will accommodate all vehicles listed in this bulletin.

• Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.

Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.

Notice: On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior model year vehicles.

From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.

ishaftout.gif

Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.

For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:
1. Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.

2. Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.

3. Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so the intermediate shaft can be removed.

From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.

ishaftcolumn.gif

Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.

1. From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column.

2. From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.

Replace the upper intermediate shaft.

Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.

Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.

Install the upper bolt and nut.

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

There is, however, a much cheaper fix for this. Just loosen the lowest bolt on the ISS so that it comes apart from the part below. Gently push the ISS in and out (towards and away from the firewall) for a few minutes, re-install the lowest bolt and presto, you're set for amother rattle free 10,000 miles or so.

Last edited:

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Nice post Ty, is this for the people who complain about feeling the road too much through the steering while driving?

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
Nice post Ty, is this for the people who complain about feeling the road too much through the steering while driving?

thats correct! i added an edit to the bottom., that is what i do ,doesnt solve the prob but does eliminate the symptoms for a short while

CodeB4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's covered under warranty, i had to replace those thing like no tomorrow at work. We stock piled new one's because we had so many coming in shop

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
yes but mine is no longer under factory warranty and my aftermarket warranty doesnt cover it because it was a factory defect.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
What aftermarket warranty do you have, thinking about getting one but wan't it to be pretty good adn cheap?
No thread ***** intentions......

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I'm getting a borgeson billet piece in the next month or so...I can always order two if you want one dude.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
no worries... i actually have a mopar warranty... lol, i bought my truck from a Dodge Dealership, and i for sure paid to much for the warranty but i was able to roll it into my loan

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

I'm getting a borgeson billet piece in the next month or so...I can always order two if you want one dude.

how much would that set me back?

czargee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I actually had to replace my intermediate steering shaft about 2 years ago. I did a self install and it was fairly easy.

When I was driving with the defective ISS, the steering wheel felt loose and wobbly. After replacing it with the new ISS, it drove like new!

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too Clarify....

If you have an 02 or newer Tahoe AND adjustable pedals.....

DO YOU NEED to purchase the Steering Column Anti Rotation Pin????

Instructions were not too clear. I am looking to either replace with a Borgeson or hunt down the directions to add a Zirk Fitting that I thought I read on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxandpj