Integrated Brake Controller ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royalwapiti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2013 Tahoe LT with 5.3, it has the towing package. I see the towing selector switch to put it in that mode. What else is involved with a Tow Package on that model? I know it has the 3.42 rear.

I tow a light boat and an aluminum utility trailer with ATV so nothing that taxes the system. I see the gross towing capapcity is 8200lbs. I just bought a 6200 lb camper and need to get it to a campground 40 miles away. Camper is empty, no extra gear in it. I pick it up friday. How do I know if my model tahoe has the integrated brake controller? I don't see anything that is on the instrument cluster. I may want to add one before Friday.

Camper comes with Equalizer sway and weight distribution system which will be nice but need to get it set for my Tahoe and that won't happen before I tow.

I have a spot at a campground so once there the camper will sit for 11 months unless I want to go elsewhere.

Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless your truck came with a factory brake controller you can't add a "integrated" one, but you can add a aftermarket one, all of the wiring is present you just need to hook it all up, any respectable tow shop can fix you up, or you can buy a controller and diy, youtube has plenty of videos on how-to.
the wires are under the dash already, the rest are under the hood.

OP
OP
Royalwapiti

Royalwapiti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea, I wasn't looking to install an integrated, just wondering how I would know if I had one? Is there a spot on the dash somewhere I should look, or scroll through the indicator menus. I actually have an add-on controller, but it is 18 years old, been sitting in my tool cabinet for 14 years...figure technology may have advanced some and should ask about technology advances before I put it on.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I wasn't looking to install an integrated, just wondering how I would know if I had one? Is there a spot on the dash somewhere I should look, or scroll through the indicator menus. I actually have an add-on controller, but it is 18 years old, been sitting in my tool cabinet for 14 years...figure technology may have advanced some and should ask about technology advances before I put it on.

Look up under the dash above the pedals, there will be a bundle of unconnected wires, I found mine by accident and had to look it up.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would know if you had one they have a special slot on the lower drivers kick panel and +/- buttons, the newer aftermarket ones are digital, my 03 came with a aftermarket one so it's at least 16yrs old

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2013 Tahoe LT with 5.3, it has the towing package. I see the towing selector switch to put it in that mode. What else is involved with a Tow Package on that model? I know it has the 3.42 rear.

I tow a light boat and an aluminum utility trailer with ATV so nothing that taxes the system. I see the gross towing capapcity is 8200lbs. I just bought a 6200 lb camper and need to get it to a campground 40 miles away. Camper is empty, no extra gear in it. I pick it up friday. How do I know if my model tahoe has the integrated brake controller? I don't see anything that is on the instrument cluster. I may want to add one before Friday.

Camper comes with Equalizer sway and weight distribution system which will be nice but need to get it set for my Tahoe and that won't happen before I tow.

I have a spot at a campground so once there the camper will sit for 11 months unless I want to go elsewhere.

Thanks

If you have the ITBC it will be on the knee bolster below the headlight switch. Under the dash are the wires to add an aftermarket one. Under the hood there's a wire taped up under the master cylinder that would feed power to the trailer's battery or interior. You can hook this up to the stud on the front of the fuse box. Since you already have the tow package, the other wire along the fender is already hooked up to the other post on the front of the fuse box. Don't forget the 40 Amp J-Case fuse to make it work. Remember, whatever is running in the trailer will feed off the truck's battery even if the truck is not running.

OP
OP
Royalwapiti

Royalwapiti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks folks, I found the wires under the hood, still searching for the bundle under the dash, only looked real quickly last night. I saw a youtube video from eTrailer that said they were tucked away really well and the bundle has a white label wrapped around it. Will search again.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks, I found the wires under the hood, still searching for the bundle under the dash, only looked real quickly last night. I saw a youtube video from eTrailer that said they were tucked away really well and the bundle has a white label wrapped around it. Will search again.
Yeah props and shout out to etrailer, those guys ROCK.

Go with the prodigy P3, it's awesome. Remembers your preferences, all around the best you can get and its usually 120-140 at amazon.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you just then need the panel? Or a bcm reprogram?

(I already have the factory controller on my ssv but curious)

6D668A32-D57B-43C9-A61B-5EECDB35B124.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you just then need the panel? Or a bcm reprogram?

(I already have the factory controller on my ssv but curious)

View attachment 221814

If your SSV has the JL1 RPO, it came that way from the factory. It amazes me how integrated into the entire system the ITBC is. Everything from the brakes, wiring harnesses, BCM and other programmings are all different to accomodate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet