Instrument Cluster/Dashboard Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Tahoe. The lights indicating the gear I'm in and the odometer went out. When I push the dash, they come back on. Also, sometimes a variety of lights, change oil, battery, check engine, etc. flash on and off. A couple of times the tach just started flipping back and forth from 0 to 5000. Mechanically though, everything seems fine.

I had a friend with an '04 Suburban and and he had similar issues and was told there was a TSB item for this. I called the dealer and he said this was for 2003-2007 only but not 2002.

Anyone else with a 2002 have a similar problem? I'm going to take it into the Stealership, but I'm sure they'll want $1000 and my first born child to fix it so if anyone knows of any easy fixes to this issue that I can tackle myself I'd appreciate it.

I searched some, but did not find anything. If this question has been posted already I appologize!

Thanks in advance!

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With some of your warning lights flickering, it sounds like it might be a bad connection.
There were issues with the stepper motors on these clusters, here's a link:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=48886

Some of your other alternatives are a rebuilt cluster (core exchange) there are a number of vendors on ebay that do this

A new cluster from an ebay vendor, some have some great prices (I bought a brand spankin new delco / delphi escalade cluster for $259 with free s/h)

Virginia Donkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought the stepper motor issue was for the cluster 2003 and newer. Sounds like a bad connection on the back of the cluster if everything comes on when you push on it.

The cluster comes out easily, so I would check the connections at the back of the cluster first.

OP
OP
B

blackdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought the stepper motor issue was for the cluster 2003 and newer. Sounds like a bad connection on the back of the cluster if everything comes on when you push on it.

The cluster comes out easily, so I would check the connections at the back of the cluster first.

Is it obvious how the cluster comes out? I assume I remove the bezel and there may be some screws or something to pop the cluster?

Also, someon on another forum said that I was describing a common problem. Besides a loose connection, is there something else that I should be looking for?

Thanks again in advance!

Virginia Donkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It comes out easily. Remove the trim around the vents/HVAC/gauges and you will see the screws to remove the cluster. The trim just clips into place so just start at one end and work your way to the other end.

I haven't heard much from anyone on this site with the 2002 and older models having problems with the cluster. Your friend with the Suburban had the cluster with problems. If you look at his cluster, it is different than yours.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000. My understanding is the stepper motors on these older ones can go out as well. My odometer/gear indicator light has gone out. It would come and go, was worse when cold, and now has gone for good. I removed the cluster and changed the display lights to red (I plan on posting that one up some day) and when I put everying back together the display worked again for a while but eventually went out again.

It's real easy to remove.

1) Tilt your steering wheel all the way down.
2) Turn on your truck and put your gear all the way down to first gear. Then turn truck off.
3) Use your fingers and wedge out the dash trim, (I found it easiest to slide out the ash tray and start there) it should just come out.
4) Use a 7mm (I think) socket and remove all 4 bolts holding on the gauge cluster.
5) Unplug the wire attachment that you will see on the backside of the cluster.

Here is an eBay seller who rebuilds clusters for much cheaper than you can buy a new one. The bonus there is, you don't have to have the odo reprogramed because he just fixes your instrument cluster. The rebuild he usually lists on eBay is the stepper motor rebuild. I called and talked to him and he can fix the odo/gear selector display as well. Seems like the price he told me was less than the stepper motor service. I haven't had the chance to get mine fixed but when I do I plan on calling him and going this route.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Circuit-Solutions-Incorporated__W0QQ_armrsZ1

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22477#post22477