installed Lockpick Gen 5 - play DVD while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowtye8

Reaction score
I ordered via phone the gen 5 lockpick from here.
http://www.coastaletech.com/GMLOCKPICK.htm

It arrived today. The next day. (They are located in FL and I live in FL)
Pretty easy install. about a 1/2 hour. Probrably could take about 15min for the next one but I was being very gentle removing the dash face plate.
Its plug and play. Hardest part was fitting the module in a spot. I wrapped in in some foam and slipped into a spot on the right side of the radio.(did not want it to rattle) Buttoned it all back up and worked as expected. Well I could not turn the the DVD video off to the front nav. screen.(supposed to hit mute 4 times)
Also the screen shows the DVD automatically. I do not have to hit the mute button 4 times to activate to display video.

I did not hook up the rear cam to see at any time. I did hit the window lock button twice and it switches to a video input(rear camera) but I did not connect it- You have to splice some wires) at this point I see no use for it.

I did not try to enter a GPS addy while in motion but that is another feature of the unit.

so far so good!

007fl

Reaction score
Please give it a real good run through and report back. I've been considering this and haven't had the nerve after hearing folks having trouble with the Gen 5 and the '09 systems.
I'll be all over this if it works without issues.

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dito but honestly whats the difference between the 08 nav disc and the 09' i havent updated my disc yet (07) but if the Gen5 give problems with the 09 disc i would sticc to the 08 for peace of mind. unless GM added sum new things to the 09 which i doubt i'll use i dont really travel the U.S just ( Va, Dc, FL, SC, NC) thats bout it.

dawvu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yup very interested to here about the results!

Also anyone know if there any big changes in 07 to 09 nav disc?

OP
OP
B

Bowtye8

Reaction score
Ok a update. Sorry I was on a family Vacation. Family of four and 2 dogs.

OK Gen 5 Lockpik update. The jury is still out. It was finiky to get the DVD to keep playing while driving. Kids wanted to watch movies on the 3000 mile road trip.

OK the manual states to press the mute button 4 times to activate. Well it took me like 10 tries to make this work.
If you hit hte mute button only twice it activates the POI for 60 seconds so you can enter GPS items like a resturant. Well this also activates the DVD for 60 seconds.
I was trying both ways 4 times and 2 times.
Even pressing 4 times if would not activate every time. But once I did get the movie to display it would work.
Kinda sucked when I stopped for gas and put in park. It would deactivate( I never turned off truck-Just park)

Then it would take 5-10 tries to get the movie to play.
I will give support a call on monday to see what they have to say.

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dam might break the mute button what if you were pressing it right and you really needed to mute the radio the dvd might play then lol? are there any features the GEN5 has that the others dont i would get a older model seems like less headache but keep the info comming.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your connections are tight. I had one plug loose, and I was getting all sorts of problem.

Now everything is working fine.

007fl

Reaction score
Sure wish it was a more postive review...
I was really set on getting one of these. Again, I really don't care much about the DVD but Ido care about being able to use the NAV features while moving,,, not just for 60 seconds (heck I can't enter anythng that fast). It's starting to look like I'll have to ditch the OEM system to get what I want. :(

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinkin the same thing conor but with my payments set this high i paid for it and now ditching it for another for all of that shouldn't have gotten the Navi in the first place.

ritaxia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcraddick11