Informative Suspension Details (in Depth)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

in an attempt to avoid searching and remembering what threads have what info we all seem to seek out, i would like to compile it all in one.

to start, i would like to ask for the following info...
unloaded vehicle (roughly half tank fuel or higher)...

1. Stock Z-71 unloaded vehicle
2. Stock Magna Ride
3. Stock Auto Level
4. Stock Premium Smooth Ride (which i have)

Fender to ground height on level ground
Distance from Upper A Arm to Bump Stop
Distance from Rear Bump to Axle housing pad

i would like to see what the actual difference is in height measurements

i recently researched options for REAR coils, and found the Z-71 to be 300# HEAVIER RATING...thus resulting in a slight height increase

so, if anyone wants to add this info, i will keep it running in this post, and will be happy to add lift height measurements as well from those that will provide what is needed.

OP
OP
STORMIN08

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update 1:

Currently in stock ( as bought trim) here is what i have with the Premium Smooth Ride Suspension (285x45x22)
The below measurements were taken inside my garage and measured through the center of the wheel center cap area...

Front Fenders 35 1/2"

Rear Fenders 38"

Upper Control Arm to Bump Stop 1 1-4" (outside edge of arm to furthest out side contact area of bump pad 20210131_164254.jpg Photo is through the barrel of the wheel ( but at raised height of 2")

upon some measuring while lifting the frame with a jack, i did some checks for tire clearance and control arm locations...
Front edge of Fender liner has several inches of play, one can easily choose how they want to tie this liner closer to the frame or brackets behind the liner, the REAR edge of the liner does have a little room after massaging the metal at the lower fender edge.

Control arms : this is where most Aftermarket arm manufactures claim a new wheel is needed...Here is why
20210131_164421.jpg The leading edge of this pic is the inside tires edge, there is less than 1/2' of clearance to a stock stamped steel arm ( this may very with arm type), but one can see that if a supplier chooses heavier tube, or a box design...you may have contact issues with certain wheels. the rear edge of the arm when turned has plenty of room20210131_164524.jpg

i did adjust my front height up to 2 1/2" simply to check for clearances and at that height you have VERY MINIMAL droop left at the bump stop. Mine did have a slight difference side to side, and i do plan to possibly look at relocating them slightly if the components allow (basically manipulate with a BFH / preferred to remove and reweld. will be checking more in a couple weeks when new brake parts arrive.

i also did notice that the camber and toe did not change much during the travel cycle, i would have expected more and a very visible change at that...i will be checking to verfiy enough adjustment for proper alignment, although that does not seem to be an issue as no others have never commented not being able to align after a 2.5" level

Hopefully this helps, and if any one wants to add their suspension type or findings...let me know.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to use center of wheel to fender height. Eliminates the tire/wheel size variable...

but this will be a great thread. I have the border patrol rear spring part number somewhere. I have no idea if it is the z71 spring etc...

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket king Yukon/silverado/1500 non extended travel coilover shaft travel is 4.8 inches.
Extended travel 5.3 inches.

rear oem shock on 15-2020 Yukon Denali XL is 7.98 travel according to acdelco

chassis code ZW7 rear shock is 15.55 inches compressed with 7.68 travel.
Z71 is 7.84 and 15.67

front police package compressed is 13.9 inches and has 3.23 inches travel

z85 rear:
Compressed 15.55"
Body Diameter 1.97"
Fully Open Length 22.76"

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z95 rear: Stroke: 7.22"
Compressed Length 15.42"
Body Diameter 3.54"

kyb rear

Extended 23.54
Compressed Length (in) 15.27
Stroke Length (in) 8.26

Monroe airbag:
Travel Length (in.) 9.313

Rancho adjustable:

Compressed Length Extended Length Travel
15.125 23.875 8.75

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monroe replacement rear:
Travel Length (in.) 8.375

OP
OP
STORMIN08

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great info...thanks for the addition.

i agree on the fender height measure points, but most STOCK vehicles will have a very similar diameter over all. just trying to make it simple for the not in depth crowds...

what led to this post, was a finding indicating the Z71 rear coils were 300# stiffer in rate, thus adding to overall height. i figured piling some data in one location may make future searches much easier...or if valid enough, a stickie.

i am wanting to see what offers the best in ride (no bump stop issues) with a level kit, if i can not achieve my desired look and tire...more lift will be the direction.

i am lookin for a 285/55/22 tire (34.5") with minimal lift. i have seen a 2.5/1.5 achieve this easily, but i would like to avoid a rear spacer, or larger rear spacer at least

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the street forum, the Arnott replacements have a F/R ground to fender height of 36.5/38

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14