Ignition Lock Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neosoul

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I need to order an ignition lock switch for my 1998 2 door tahoe, any recommendation on where the best place to order the part from and wheter to let a locksmith or auto shop do the install.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Amazon will likely have the cheapest prices when you order a acdelco part. Are you ordering the switch with the wiring and such or just the key lock cylinder? Can I assume you also have the passlock system installed? Just want to clarify.

OP
OP
N

neosoul

Reaction score
I previously had additional keys made and they all worked. the problem now is that sometimes the key is hard ro turn at times, and I also get an intermittent no start when the key does turn. All the light turn on but the ignition does not engage. So I'm trying to figure out if I need just the ignition lock cylinder or the cylinder and new keys.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

The keys that I have do not have that little chip on them, they are just regular keys.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Well hard to turn just might be bad key cuts in conjunction with bad lock cylinder pins. Can you still use an original keys that turns just fine or does that one screw up now as well? Per the wiring diagram for your vehicle when the key is turned on The pink wire from the ignition switch provides power to anything tied to the pcm and gauges so power for the gauges, turn signals, ignition, fuel injectors, pcm and engine sensors. So that means that if your guages come on and lights and such, but your ignition does not, then it is really not the switch that has the issue as it would have killed that whole shebang. After it leaves the switch and passes thru the big connector at the bottom of dash it splits into several directions to go to various fuses. Next time it will not run leave the key on and probe the IGN-E, ENG-1 and PCM-1 fuses in the underhood fuse box. All should have power when key is on and this would be when probing the terminal of the specific fuse that is closest to the relays.if one of them is dead while the others work you likely just have a wiring issue. BTW I assume you mean you can crank the engine but it will not ignite and run? Also do you have a light that says security? I ask because on keys for the passlock system would not have a key that you can really any mods to it like a resistor chip. On the passlock system it is the lock cylinder and surrounding sensor that doe the work. IF you have that light then there is a possibility that the the passlock system is a goof. If that light just stays on or flashes then you need to look into it. Effects can be a no start because the injectors are disables or more often a stall and immediate stall. Just want to make sure you don't miss anything.

OP
OP
N

neosoul

Reaction score
figured out the problem, was using a generic copy from walmart which didn't work correctly. Put the original gm key in the ignition and key turned smoothly, no hangups whatsoever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269