Idle Vibration after tune (BBT)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just loaded a 87/89 Tune and was wondering if anybody else experienced a In-Gear idle issue. I am experiencing a very small vibration at stop lights and it only occurred after the tune. It is noticeable in the mirrors, and interior panels (new squeaks). It was a Black Bear Tune, and I emailed them about it, I was just curious if anybody else experienced this. I had a tune done on my old tahoe and it never happened.
I wonder if the idle speed is adjusted at the tune, or perhaps the timing change effecting the idle. I feel as if a slight increase or decrease in idle may fix it.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems a little higher. Maybe that is enough to give it a little vibration. Sent them a log file tonight to check into it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted. I’ve never heard of this after a BB tune.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I am a little miffed. I sent in a log file back on 8/22, I finally got a new file back around two weeks later 9/6. I dont know if that is normal turnaround. I guess I was expecting something a little quicker to just drop back down the idle. Perhaps it is a little more complicated?? In any case it wasn't urgent. James (swathdiver) was right, it seems like it may be 50 rpm is what was added. They also do some idle timing adjustments as well. So what spoils all of this for me is: I tried loading the updated file, and was getting an operating system failure when loading. It did however flash the computer ECM some way, and I am not sure how, but I didnt want to remove until told to by the autocal. Finally I removed the autocal, and it seemed to drive fine. I then had the whole family in the truck about an hour away from home in the middle of nowhere (in the pouring rain), and the temp needle pegged all the way and overheat messages in the gauge panel. I shut it down. The E-Fans were no longer working! I checked the ground to the fans, checked fuses and no luck. I was desperate and cut into my new fan wiring harness in an effort to run the fans direct to the battery to get it cooled down - with no luck. Finally with time it cooled enough to get me back on the freeway with wind blowing through the radiator. Long story short, I tested every component of the fans, and before giving up, I loaded back up the original tune and it worked fine. So the 2nd tune could have caused a catastrophic failure! I emailed them Saturday night and hope to get a response. This experience has left me with mixed feelings about the tune service.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their service is slow and patience will get you through. As far as the tune itself, I have had a tune file get corrupted and they had to re-send it. Now as far as an operating system failure, was that during the time you were loading the file from your computer to the autocal or when you were loading the tune from the autocal to the truck? In any case, it sounds like a corrupted tune file which can happen. They'll send you another file most likely and you get to do it all again. Good thing is, you're getting practice loading tunes lol. If you get any error message when loading a tune, always go back and reload the previous known good tune. That way you know you're not taking a chance.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I am a little miffed. I sent in a log file back on 8/22, I finally got a new file back around two weeks later 9/6. I dont know if that is normal turnaround. I guess I was expecting something a little quicker to just drop back down the idle. Perhaps it is a little more complicated?? In any case it wasn't urgent. James (swathdiver) was right, it seems like it may be 50 rpm is what was added. They also do some idle timing adjustments as well. So what spoils all of this for me is: I tried loading the updated file, and was getting an operating system failure when loading. It did however flash the computer ECM some way, and I am not sure how, but I didnt want to remove until told to by the autocal. Finally I removed the autocal, and it seemed to drive fine. I then had the whole family in the truck about an hour away from home in the middle of nowhere (in the pouring rain), and the temp needle pegged all the way and overheat messages in the gauge panel. I shut it down. The E-Fans were no longer working! I checked the ground to the fans, checked fuses and no luck. I was desperate and cut into my new fan wiring harness in an effort to run the fans direct to the battery to get it cooled down - with no luck. Finally with time it cooled enough to get me back on the freeway with wind blowing through the radiator. Long story short, I tested every component of the fans, and before giving up, I loaded back up the original tune and it worked fine. So the 2nd tune could have caused a catastrophic failure! I emailed them Saturday night and hope to get a response. This experience has left me with mixed feelings about the tune service.
Hello Dan, thank you for patience. It looks like Justin sent you an adjusted file last night. Let us know if that works out for you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I am a little miffed. I sent in a log file back on 8/22, I finally got a new file back around two weeks later 9/6. I dont know if that is normal turnaround. I guess I was expecting something a little quicker...

My long and detailed emails and 2 hour log files keep him up late at night, and don't forget, MarK has TWO trucks for Justin to tune as well! Poor guy gets hardly any sleep!

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the new file loaded. It runs without the vibration. I guess most of these have a little miss or shake at idle when stock. The RPM increase is supposed to eliminate that. I guess my truck is a little different - who knows.
There was definitely a problem with the revised file I had that nearly cost me a ton of money & frustration. I wont share what it was at this time. I am just glad the result of that didn't happen while my wife was driving taking the kids somewhere. So the lesson here is dont discard a working file when you ask for an updated one. Make sure all mechanical functions (Like electric fans) are working before you go on a long drive and take your autocal along with an old file just in case. I am happy that BBT fixed it quickly for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B