Ideas on what else to replace while doing oil pan gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience has been that a cheater bar on a 3/8" drive results in a twisted off tang.

Must have been cheap ratchets. I’ve been doing that for 40 years and never broke one. Glad you got the bolts off. :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must have been cheap ratchets. I’ve been doing that for 40 years and never broke one. Glad you got the bolts off. :)

I meant the tangs on the extensions. They were Craftsman. I've only really ever bought Craftsman and Tekton and Stanley. Some where along the way we have some no name Chicom sockets but try not to use them.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant the tangs on the extensions. They were Craftsman. I've only really ever bought Craftsman and Tekton and Stanley. Some where along the way we have some no name Chicom sockets but try not to use them.
I used to have mostly craftsman tools but when I was living in both Colorado and Virginia I bought another full set of tools from Harbor Freight. So far, their Pittsburgh brand sockets have been stellar. I’ll only buy Gear Wrench ratcheting combination wrenches though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have mostly craftsman tools but when I was living in both Colorado and Virginia I bought another full set of tools from Harbor Freight. So far, their Pittsburgh brand sockets have been stellar. I’ll only buy Gear Wrench ratcheting combination wrenches though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, we have a set of 3/8" drive long Pittsburgh sockets, no problems with them either. Their sets usually do not include 18mm sockets.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you’re breaking extensions then a 1/2” drive is called for for, for sure. I just use a cheater for a bit of extra leverage in certain places. I don’t want something giving way and bloodying me up, I do enough of that on my own!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of sockets I just bought this set of 3/8 drive from Astro Pneumatic, 6mm to 24mm shortie impacts with no skips. I can’t remember who it was here that suggested them but I can see them being my new favorites.

image.jpg

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My experience has been that a cheater bar on a 3/8" drive results in a twisted off tang. O'Reilly's to the rescue again, picked up those long 1/2" drive extensions and my youngest made short work of getting the bolts out. Trouble was, she had to take care of the horses and left us for a few hours to fumble around in her absence. Replaced the driver's side mount easy enough but had to abandon the passenger side replacement of that mount until another time. We were running out of light and I could not get any combination of tools onto those top engine block bolts.

Two heat shield bolts broke on one manifold, one on the other, just spaced out the remainder. Put the differential back up and called it a night when skeeters so big they had tail numbers showed up and started chewing on us. Cross member goes back on next but today is Mother's Day. Rain in the forecast for the whole of this coming week.

Your youngest seems to have been batting cleanup on the truck projects lately. Make sure you tell her that the PB loosened them up overnight or you guys would've been done before she got back. ;)

Also, if she really wants to show off, I've got a Chicago front end I'd be glad to drive down that she could disassemble.

You're winning Fatherdom, James. So cool.