Hybrid aluminum parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a '10 PPV that's a DD and being built to be a part time sleeper/racetruck. IN an effort to cut some more weight (was 5300lbs, now 4995 depending on fuel level) I have recently discovered that on the Hybrids there were several body and drivetrain pieces that were made lightweight using aluminum instead of steel. So I'm looking to source some parts, but looking to see if anyone happens to know of have a resource that shows/displays/list the weight difference in these parts.

Now the known: GM said that the hybrid system added 350lbs to the Tahoe, so to compensate for the gained weight they cut it via the mentioned parts below and lighter weight seats.

- Aluminum hood
- Aluminum bumper/crash bar (front)
- Aluminum rear hatch assembly w/fixed glass
- Aluminum driveshaft (4" diameter)

I'm about to pull the trigger on the bumper/crash bar (eBay), Hood (ebay) and driveshaft (eBay)

I guess if no one knows, I can be the test monkey as I have done with several other GM trucks. The driveshaft list it only works with the hybrid (Note: I'm going to take measurements to see if the length is remotely close) should be close between the 2wd platforms unless the Hybrid transmission is really that much longer.

Any and all information would be of value, thanks in advance!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a '10 PPV that's a DD and being built to be a part time sleeper/racetruck. IN an effort to cut some more weight (was 5300lbs, now 4995 depending on fuel level) I have recently discovered that on the Hybrids there were several body and drivetrain pieces that were made lightweight using aluminum instead of steel. So I'm looking to source some parts, but looking to see if anyone happens to know of have a resource that shows/displays/list the weight difference in these parts.

Now the known: GM said that the hybrid system added 350lbs to the Tahoe, so to compensate for the gained weight they cut it via the mentioned parts below and lighter weight seats.

- Aluminum hood

I'm about to pull the trigger on the bumper/crash bar (eBay), Hood (ebay) and driveshaft (eBay)

I guess if no one knows, I can be the test monkey as I have done with several other GM trucks. The driveshaft list it only works with the hybrid (Note: I'm going to take measurements to see if the length is remotely close) should be close between the 2wd platforms unless the Hybrid transmission is really that much longer.

Aero mod it as well you will Drop the coeffent drag down from 0.37 to 0.34

also the hood will only work with the hybrid bumper (slight difference in the cookie cutter) other wise there will be a small gap

Aluminum, suspension parts as well..
Aluminum engine

also get the D pliers and led taillights and rear bumper to go with it..

if you want the measurements from the drive shaft is there any specific spot you would like it measured from?20200430_155900.jpg 20191218_132838.jpg

Last edited:

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

- Aluminum hood

Do you have the steel lower control arms? If you do, purchase the aluminium ones. Not sure what model years those came out.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the steel lower control arms? If you do, purchase the aluminium ones. Not sure what model years those came out.
he will also have to swap the running broads( if wants to have those) as well..

OP
OP
1BADI5

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just want the aluminum stuff. The hood should be a direct bolt on

I ordered the hood and front crash bar yesterday. My truck already has the aluminum lower control arms.

OP
OP
1BADI5

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aero mod it as well you will Drop the coeffent drag down from 0.37 to 0.34

also the hood will only work with the hybrid bumper (slight difference in the cookie cutter) other wise there will be a small gap

Aluminum, suspension parts as well..
Aluminum engine

also get the D pliers and led taillights and rear bumper to go with it..

if you want the measurements from the drive shaft is there any specific spot you would like it measured from?

I will definitely take you up on the driveshaft measurement. I believe from what I read the Hybrid (2wd) measures in at 61 1/5 (from the center to center on the u joints)

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will definitely take you up on the driveshaft measurement. I believe from what I read the Hybrid (2wd) measures in at 61 1/5 (from the center to center on the u joints)

this is the specs
ACDELCO 20912715

20912715_Primary__ra_p.jpg

Axle Nut Included No
CV Joints Included No
End 1 Type Yoke
End 2 Type U Joint
Fully Open Length 62.68 IN
Inboard Spline Quantity 32
Shaft Diameter 3.83 IN
Shaft Material Aluminum
Slip Yoke Yes