HP/MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UnderDogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I currently have a 04 GMC YUKON DENALI XL with a 3inch lift, Flowmaster exhaust system running on 20in TIS Rims with 33in off road tires. It running very well with 177k miles on the dash, but I would like to add more HP and was thinking about a turbo addition. A. Is this possible and B. What do you recommend outside of the Magnuson that starts at 10k. To be honest my wish is to do a burn out with all four wheels like the TrackHawk or atleast drift like the 2023 6.3L GMC YUKON XL. I know it sound funny but a fella can dream can't he. I'll wait for response and I gladly accept criticism.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of your problem is that your final drive ratio is different than stock, and this is causing you to feel like your beast is slow. If I remember correctly, stock wheel size is 30.5 inches. You have converted to 33". Further, you have a lift which is likely contributing. It might be cheaper and easier to regear for the bigger tire size. Also, if you regear, you will make your transmission last longer...

OP
OP
U

UnderDogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Part of your problem is that your final drive ratio is different than stock, and this is causing you to feel like your beast is slow. If I remember correctly, stock wheel size is 30.5 inches. You have converted to 33". Further, you have a lift which is likely contributing. It might be cheaper and easier to regear for the bigger tire size. Also, if you regear, you will make your transmission last longer...
Sorry I'm new to all of this. What does regearing entail and is it expensive?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IFF you do any forced aspiration, don't bother changing the axles ratios - whatever charger will make up for it.

If staying naturally aspirated, especially with taller-than-OE tires, 4.10 or even 4.30, depending on where you do most of your driving and how much you tow / haul.
(My Z71 has a 5.3L & 3.73, and every time I floor it, I die a wee lil bit inside. Soon as I can afford 4.10 ...)

You need to go junkyard hunting for rear axles and front differentials with 4.10 or 4.30. They MUST match.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm new to all of this. What does regearing entail and is it expensive?

You can source new axle from a salvage yard or regear your existing differentials. If you pay someone to do it, it's about $3k depending on your market. The gear sets themselves are $250-800 per axle plus overhaul parts and labor or tools if you DIY.

What gears did a 2004 Yukon Denali come with? 3.73s?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As i saw you can bring the LQ9 engine up to 1000hp which probably kill the transmission or differential soon. There are plenty possibilities from sharp camshaft, over cylinderheads, up to turbo. Just search un YouTube for "LQ9 tunning".
Then you find videos like this.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah no way a stock tranny is gonna hold 1000hp and not a chance a well worn/worn out 2004 rearend or frontend is gonna hold up either. The BW Tcase unit wont stand a chance at life either with a 1000hp engine twisting it up. OP better get his wallet out and atleast 5 credit cards.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah no way a stock tranny is gonna hold 1000hp and not a chance a well worn/worn out 2004 rearend or frontend is gonna hold up either. The BW Tcase unit wont stand a chance at life either with a 1000hp engine twisting it up. OP better get his wallet out and atleast 5 credit cards.
lol, I can and have broke most of that with a measly 300hp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar