How to tell if I have a flex fuel vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have used it in my Yukon for almost a year. Gas station were i fill up started selling it, so i decided to try it out. I dont notice any difference in mpg. The Yukon has a little more pep to her though when i put E85 in. Something to do with the higher octane. Supposedly its got a rating of 100 plus. Winter gas is crap anyways with all the additives they put in it. So go ahead and try it. I mean dont go 50 miles out of your way to get it, but if you need gas and they sell it put it in. If you dont like the results,go back to regular.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I don't know for sure if this is true for these trucks, but in my other car you can't base mileage off one tank of anything new. Every time you change octane or suddenly have a free-flow exhaust or whatever, the computer has to take some time to calculate the best timing and whatnot. 1000 miles on a new change to things was a good baseline for the computer to figure it all out and run the best on a new gas.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
N

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have the little mpg calculator that shows avg and what not like I had in my Monte. I wonder if that function would work if I install the Esky odometer that I am going to get.

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with DenaliAK about basing your results on one tankful. Try it out for maybe like 10 tankfuls, then average out your mpg. then do it with regular. then you can decide what works for you. Being flex gives us a choice on what fuel we put in our vehicles. Like i said, dont go out of your way to fill up on E85,because then it does not make sense. I use regular when E85 is not available. Also he is right about the computer needing to adjust for any adjustments you make to your vehicle. They are meant to run good from the factory.We the consumer just like them to run better and maybe a little faster.:)

OP
OP
N

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def know what you mean. I intended to get some yesterday as I drove almost 300 miles so I was needing it but they did not have any. Guy at station said they sell it but have not had any for months. No big deal. I filled up on premium at 3.45 a gallon so I am not mad one bit.

OP
OP
N

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got some of it finally this weekend. Not too much to say so far. I did notice a litte stutter at the lights that wasn't there before but that could be my foot. Anyone else have this problem.

brassknucklemafia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flex fuel is only good in little cars, not in big ones like what we all have here. i mean come on, after all it makes some people feel warm and fuzzy that they might make a difference. tiny if at all. however they might sleep better at night being the only occupant in 11 person vehicle in the carpool lane just because it is flex fuel and has cloud plates. big deal. if your really worried about your carbon footprint buy a prius. or ride the bus.

Venom One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sticker on the inside of the fuel door will let you know....

Sweet_N_Low

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're a fool if you put that shizz in your motor. Ever seen the inside of one of these after long term use? I can post some pics for ya

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demetris