How to fix Hot Air when A/C is on. Install new air mix/blend door actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:p In all seriousness, can someone please help me? I really don't want to go through these blind because I haven't a clue what exactly I am looking for, and I would rather avoid $200 in labor costs.

Balgame03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Grimes, I wish I could refer you to my post, but the Heat was coming out of my Drivers side, not the passenger side like yours. Unfortunately, it sounds like it might be the more difficult blend door actuator that needs to be replaced based on prior posts.

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grimes, I wish I could refer you to my post, but the Heat was coming out of my Drivers side, not the passenger side like yours. Unfortunately, it sounds like it might be the more difficult blend door actuator that needs to be replaced based on prior posts.

Which I'm alright with, as I've dismantled a bit of the dash before. I just don't want to be trying for all 3 of them.

SmilingBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great thread, just what I was looking for. I have a steady clicking, like a tick tock from a clock, and I've isolated it to the black plastic housing beneath the glove box. I thought at first it was the cd changer, but i can actually feel something clicking in the plastic housing when I touch it. It will do the clicking intermittently, and sometimes not at all when driving the vehicle. Anyone have a clue which blend door / actuator I'm looking at replacing? The AC and Heat actually seem to be working properly but the intermittent clicking is very annoying, and I'd rather fix it before something quits working.

2004 Denali BTW, thanks.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
You need to find out which one it is. You need to test out each door.

Temperature Blend door: Does the air switch from cold to hot?
Floor/Vent door: Can you switch from windshield to vents to floor?
Recirculation door: If the above two are working properly, this is probably the culprit. This door switches from directing cabin air or fresh outside air into the blower intake. While switching you should be able to hear a difference in air volume as it changes.

shemp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just joined to say thanks. I found this thread via Google when my rear air in my 2002 Yukon was only blowing hot when the temp was set to minimum. So assuming it was a bad actuator, I removed the rear hot/cold actuator and swapped it with the other rear actuator that was on the rear blower assembly (fresh/recirculate blend I believe) and saw that didn't fix the stuck hot air issue so I followed the instructions in the first post here to reset the system (disconnect battery, wait 30 sec, reconnect, turn ignition on for 3 minutes, turn ignition off) and I saw both actuators re-calibrate. AC works again!! Then I realized that a week before, the battery want dead and I had to replace it so the system must of got hosed at that point.

So thanks everyone!!

redsamson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excellent writeup. I live in Florida, its hot right now, and I started getting heat blasted in the drivers side every few days. Like most I can turn the car off and it will return to cold when turned back on. I followed the directions on here, replaced the actuator and I'm hoping they'll be no more random heat blast.
The kickplate is probably the worst part of the job, and like others I didn't bother installing the hard to reach screw behind the center console. The other 2 hold it fine.

K1slugger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same issue on my 05' Tahoe - replaced it just as the pics show and it is perfect again. Make sure you buy a good replacement - I have heard many issues with Dorman actuators, no first hand experience with them.

K1slugger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
WHITOUT - I have had to do this for mine as well and this info/pics is spot on - really nice job. Question for you....Does that actuator on the passenger side control the Driver air or the Passenger air? Where is the other actuator located? Thanks for the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia