How much louder after removing resonator? Just installed Magnaflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99ls1z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got a Magnaflow replacement muffler put on 07 5.3 yesterday. Not sure the exact part number but it is the 14". It has a nice deep rumble at startup but is kinda quiet. I was think about cutting of the resonator later and wondering how much louder this would make the exhaust? Also do Magnaflows have a break-in period meaning it will gradually get a littler louder?

First drive after installed truck seemed to rev easier and run a little smoother. I already had an AEM intake before muffler.

OP
OP

99ls1z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds good. Did you notice yours getting louder after a few days of driving?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be quite a bit louder when the resonator is removed, but in a good way IMO. Not obnoxious but louder. When you remove the resonator you will also notice drone at ~2,500 rpm. If you do not like it you can also reinstall the resonator or experiment with resonator sizes to get the sound level you want.

Yes a time goes by my Magnaflow got louder as well.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will definitely get louder the more you drive it. Removing the resonator will also significantly make it louder but over time the muffler itself will get louder as it's "broken in".

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
It not noisy to the point it makes your ears bleed. Imo its the perfect sound that I was looking for.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It not noisy to the point it makes your ears bleed. Imo its the perfect sound that I was looking for.

x2 Magnaflow mufflers put out a nice, clean sound :waytogo:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Did you notice yours getting louder after a few days of driving?

i have a magnaflow muffler/resonator delete and yes it got louder/deeper after a few days for me... sounds better. :Handshake:

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

I just got a Magnaflow replacement muffler put on 07 5.3 yesterday. Not sure the exact part number but it is the 14". It has a nice deep rumble at startup but is kinda quiet. I was think about cutting of the resonator later and wondering how much louder this would make the exhaust? Also do Magnaflows have a break-in period meaning it will gradually get a littler louder?

First drive after installed truck seemed to rev easier and run a little smoother. I already had an AEM intake before muffler.

Now the BB Tune is next :)

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you liking your tune now, Felix? :)

I love it! I don't ever tow anything so I switched the tow/haul button to sport mode and that is just plain awesome. I notice the firmer shifting and it's just overall better driving both city and highway driving. Pretty legit and well worth an 8 hour round trip/hotel room expense :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts