Terrible Drone, Loud Exhaust need assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too funny when people chop up their factory exhaust, add headers and a acatback, and then cry when it drones like crazy. And I know exactly how & why people get into this mess, as I have done it myself a time or two. lol

See if you can integrate a factory muffler & resonator setup into your custom exhaust. That should take the drone down quite a bit.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I go thru this same crap with many shops and wondered if it was just me. Most people do this stuff to get noticed i guess.
I really just want it to be faster, handle better, smooth and quiet.
if I could keep it quiet as stock I would, if I could get the idle as smooth and not noticeable as stock I would. Wheels, really just want something low key.
Same here. Love the stealth of the sleeper look.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an almost identical setup as the OP and my truck is loud. No stealth mode other than it is actually quiet when it goes into overdrive. I can cruise around 2000 rpm and it's not bad at all. The headers and cam add to the noise and my high flow cats don't seem to quiet it down any. The smaller your muffler, the louder it gets.

Now on to a solution. There was a guy on here running a true dual exhaust setup and I think he added 2 additional mufflers and his truck was actually quite. I'll find a video of it..it's actually too quiet if you ask me but he's pushing 700hp a d you would never know..here ya go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I just want to say ive been scouting the net for information on Cabin drone and loud exhaust setups and almost everything everyone says is quite confusing and debatable. I apologise if it was mentioned somewhere here on the forums.

I currently own a 2006 Yukon denali and i put in a new Engine the same as stock a 6.0L LQ4
The only things ive changed in this setup is the Air intake, headers, the intermediate connecting Y-Pipes (catted)
and a magnaflow Catback exhaust

The list is exactly what i have listed below

Air Intake

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/knn-57-3050/overview/

Kooks Headers 1 7/8

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/kok-28502400/overview/

Kooks Connecting Y-Pipes

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/kok-28523200/overview/

Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mpe-15734/overview/

I also almost forgot to mention that when i purchased the new engine, they put a performace camshaft in there which makes my car vibrate like a motherkoony on startup, im not quite sure if this adds to the sound being overly loud.

On start up it almost blows my neighbors out of their houses in my street, My mom can hear me coming home from a mile away even so i cant sneak in the goddamn house when i want to.

I've read some reviews and scoured YouTube for resonators people have installed, Some say it works and cuts out drone some say it does nothing.

I've been looking into Vibrant Ultra quiet, but that is up for debate cause really people cant give a definite review.

I get terrible drone at highway cruising speeds cant hear the radio or speak to anybody in the car with this overwhelming noise. Around 1800@rpm - 2500@rpm is the worst. Even at idle is pretty loud enough for the cops to have already stopped me once and give me a warning, i told them yes i have to go to the garage and get it sorted.

Honestly if anybody has any similar experience, i would truly appreciate if you could help me out.
Since my exhaust has 2 pipes going into the muffler and a single exit coming out into the tail pipe,
im confused with this? do i need to put the resonator after the muffler like the Vibrant ultra quiet? because most people say its better with resonators before the muffler, hence will i need to buy 2 bottle styled ones?

I honestly cannot afford to go back to stock since i saved up a long time to buy out this system and spent the money. Any ideas on which resonators to use? and where can i place them?, which ones really work etc?. i get most of the drone in the front area Of my Denali around the mid section, so i know i have to combat it there.

Also i would like to say im sorry in advance since im really noobish with these kind of things and im slowly learning, i knew about loud exhausts but had no clue since ive had no reference it would be like this, i was assuming it would just be normal.

Any good resonators and information would truly be helpful and id be honestly grateful if anybody could help me out.

I'll try to post pictures of what it looks like under the car, and also the sound the exhaust makes.
As much as i love the deep growl when i press the accelerator, overall the sound is incredibly loud when i do nothing.

Thank you beautiful community of TYF in advance for any knowledge shared, much appreciated!!.
I think you just need a new muffler-yours is a straight thru design and will cause drone.I would call magnaflow and they will tell you exactly which muffler to switch to and your done.I put one on and no drone at all but way better than stock.https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=13278

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only exhaust I ever really liked was Corsa catback on my 2004 Vette and on my 2009 G8 GT. The rest have been terrible so I finally just have gone cheap and simple. The last couple of vehicles I have just had a nice little Flowmaster muffler replacement and it has been great. No drone and nothing to prohibit talking and normal operation. But it sounds great at startup and when passing, etc. I want to do it to my 2015 Silverado but I am not sure I want to listen to the V4 mode. I cannot find anyone who has the "optional" Borla system GM sells and no dealer has had one on the lot for me to listen to. What's up with that?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I just want to say ive been scouting the net for information on Cabin drone and loud exhaust setups and almost everything everyone says is quite confusing and debatable. I apologise if it was mentioned somewhere here on the forums.

I currently own a 2006 Yukon denali and i put in a new Engine the same as stock a 6.0L LQ4
The only things ive changed in this setup is the Air intake, headers, the intermediate connecting Y-Pipes (catted)
and a magnaflow Catback exhaust

The list is exactly what i have listed below

Air Intake

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/knn-57-3050/overview/

Kooks Headers 1 7/8

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/kok-28502400/overview/

Kooks Connecting Y-Pipes

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/kok-28523200/overview/

Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mpe-15734/overview/

I also almost forgot to mention that when i purchased the new engine, they put a performace camshaft in there which makes my car vibrate like a motherkoony on startup, im not quite sure if this adds to the sound being overly loud.

On start up it almost blows my neighbors out of their houses in my street, My mom can hear me coming home from a mile away even so i cant sneak in the goddamn house when i want to.

I've read some reviews and scoured YouTube for resonators people have installed, Some say it works and cuts out drone some say it does nothing.

I've been looking into Vibrant Ultra quiet, but that is up for debate cause really people cant give a definite review.

I get terrible drone at highway cruising speeds cant hear the radio or speak to anybody in the car with this overwhelming noise. Around 1800@rpm - 2500@rpm is the worst. Even at idle is pretty loud enough for the cops to have already stopped me once and give me a warning, i told them yes i have to go to the garage and get it sorted.

Honestly if anybody has any similar experience, i would truly appreciate if you could help me out.
Since my exhaust has 2 pipes going into the muffler and a single exit coming out into the tail pipe,
im confused with this? do i need to put the resonator after the muffler like the Vibrant ultra quiet? because most people say its better with resonators before the muffler, hence will i need to buy 2 bottle styled ones?

I honestly cannot afford to go back to stock since i saved up a long time to buy out this system and spent the money. Any ideas on which resonators to use? and where can i place them?, which ones really work etc?. i get most of the drone in the front area Of my Denali around the mid section, so i know i have to combat it there.

Also i would like to say im sorry in advance since im really noobish with these kind of things and im slowly learning, i knew about loud exhausts but had no clue since ive had no reference it would be like this, i was assuming it would just be normal.

Any good resonators and information would truly be helpful and id be honestly grateful if anybody could help me out.

I'll try to post pictures of what it looks like under the car, and also the sound the exhaust makes.
As much as i love the deep growl when i press the accelerator, overall the sound is incredibly loud when i do nothing.

Thank you beautiful community of TYF in advance for any knowledge shared, much appreciated!!.

Go to a muffler shop and have them add some exhaust J pipes, that will illiminate the drone inside the cab.

Google exhaust J pipes if you don't know what they are. Cheapest fix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh