How much brake pedal "play" is normal before brakes engage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This seems to be a common issue on these OBS trucks and SUVs. We've now had four of them and they have all had this, might be normal or not so I'm not sure. Basically, there is a slight amount of "dead space" in the brake pedal before they actually activate. Now, I'm not talking about a low brake pedal or one that fades/goes to the floor. Once the brakes come on the pedal is very stiff and does not give at all. There is just some play at the top. This can get kind of annoying because you have to anticipate having to brake maybe 1-2 seconds before you actually need to. Master cylinder and brake booster do not appear to be leaking at all. I'm guessing I could start with a brake fluid flush and proceed to make sure the rear drums are adjusted correctly? Any input is appreciated. My other cars do not do this, the moment you put your foot on the pedal the cars will begin to brake.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually sense more brake pedal "play" as the pads wear. The amount of play would also be affected by the types of brake pads, condition of calipers, rotors, brake fluid, etc.

If I understand correctly, organic pads have good bite, but will fade much easier. I had ceramic pads once, and hated them. They didn't work well until they got good and hot. Semi-metallic has always been a good balance for me.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually sense more brake pedal "play" as the pads wear. The amount of play would also be affected by the types of brake pads, condition of calipers, rotors, brake fluid, etc.

If I understand correctly, organic pads have good bite, but will fade much easier. I had ceramic pads once, and hated them. They didn't work well until they got good and hot. Semi-metallic has always been a good balance for me.

I should have added, the front pads and rotors are brand new. The condition of the rear shoes and drums are unknown.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What pad material did you use? Did you flush the brake lines? Did you like the caliper guide pins and all other lube points? Rear brakes may need attention too.

EliminatorDave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I bought a 98 2 door LS 4x4 Tahoe for my oldest sons first vehicle, but the brakes are so bad my wife and I don't want him to drive it. I thought it just needed new pads and a good air bleed, but that didn't do the trick. I had a mechanic friend power bleed the system and check all the lines, pads, sliders etc and they were all almost new and in good working order. He said these rigs came with crappy brakes and thats what you have. I bought a 98 GMC Z71 half ton new in 98 and dont recall the brakes having so much dead play in the pedal, but it was a heavy half and I still recall it having oddball rear shoes and over sized wheel cylinders when I did the rears brakes.

I am looking for the silver bullet fix. Anyone know of a kit that fixes the soft, long travel pedal? I've seen the posts about Hydra-boost upgrades, not opposed to going that route just haven't seen a complete kit for sale. If need be, I'll ditch the ABS and stock vacumn booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve if thats the only way to fix this crap. Just seems like a waste as the ABS works.

I'm looking for the confirmed fix, in a box, anyone have any suggestions?

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested as well. I just replaced all 4 brakes and hoped that my pedal would have been higher.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove a 94 2 door the other day where the brake take up was alarming felt like it could have been a foot! On the other hand I recently drove a 99 with very little take up where everything felt tight... for what it's worth.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove a 94 2 door the other day where the brake take up was alarming felt like it could have been a foot! On the other hand I recently drove a 99 with very little take up where everything felt tight... for what it's worth.
I'm convinced the quality and type of pad material affects the pedal feel and even the pedal travel quite a bit. Someone gave me ceramic pads once and they did not feel like they had any decent grab until they got good and hot. I hated them.

Greg Carrasco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a leaking(very small leak) master cylinder and is causing my brakes to do the same I haven't replaced it yet so can't confirm it works

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear disc conversion I did it big difference bought from Little shop mfg all these rear drum brake vehicles go half way to the floor before working

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy