How many of you guys are cammed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating about camming my Tahoe and was wondering how many, if any are cammed and what cam did you go with?

Reason = I'm planning on deleting my DOD.

Thanks

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, not one person in here has a done a DOD delete/cam swap?

John Lowak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe 2WD that had 136,000 miles when I started the upgrades. After plenty of research and several phone calls to Texas Speed and Performance Lonnie at TSP helped me spec out a cam to meet my needs. I am pulling a 6900lb RV with my Tahoe. I started with a local company setting up my rear diff with an Auburn carrier and A 4:10 gear ratio. Lonnie suggested a cam with 212 intake duration and 218 exhaust and a 111 deg lobe separation angle with .600 valve lift. On a cold start up and until the engine is fully warmed up it has a nice lope which is not as noticeable once the engine is driven a few miles. The cam works well with a stock torque converter. The kit he set me up with was complete with dod delete, lifters , valve springs, cam sensor, oil pump, pushrods, a comp cams rocker arm trunnion kit, GM head bolt kit, crank bolt, cam bolts, complete GM top end gaskets. The complete kit set me back $1,400.00 I went with a set of Speed Engineering long tube headers along with their Y pipe and plumbed it into my existing 3'' magnaflow cat back exhaust. Another company local to me is Nelson Performance and they handled the tuning of the PCM. I went thru the entire vehicle replacing shocks and springs, engine knock sensors, low oil level sensor, water pump, radiator, all coolant hoses, and added a transmission cooler. These LS engines are very easy to work with but definitely more expensive than their Gen 1 counter parts. It pulls the trailer very well and is a much different vehicle than it was in stock trim, but very well behaved around town. I haven't sat down and taken a hard look at fuel economy around town as I don't drive it much as it is now relegated to towing the RV, but I was getting 8mpg pulling the trailer on our recent outing. A 400 mile round trip. Yup, I know the Tahoe wasn't intended to pull large trailers but I feel the money I invested was well spent and will allow me to look for a proper diesel powered tow vehicle at my leisure and give me the advantage of not being desperate to make a deal.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John,
Thank you very much, very informative and much appreciated.
I don't tow and don't really drive very much, work is 4.5 miles or less and the beach is just as close. My tuner is also local. I'm wondering if something a little more aggressive would be sufficient as I have a 2800/3000 billet stall. My rear end has been gone through as well with a TruTrac. I'm also in the process of gather parts for my front end as I have a complete suspension waiting to be installed and HP goodies will be coming soon to. Speaking of Speed Engineering, could you give a small review on there product? I am planning on getting there LTs and go with there rue dual set up and make my own tail pipes.

Speaking of diesels, I've been looking for a 99-+ Dodge 3500 dually reg cab short bed cummins 5spd for eveeeeeer, haha no luck yet.

Thanks again :)

John Lowak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Speed Engineering LT's are well made as is the Y pipe. The exhaust clamps their kits come with not so much. I ordered some from Summit racing the lap joint band clamps, they work great. I neglected to mention in my original post the engine is a 5.3 so I chose 1-3/4'' diameter primaries. On your rig you didn't mention the rear end ratio, but with a 2800 stall I wouldn't go over 220deg of intake duration. Of course depending on engine displacement and gear ratio. 216-220 would have a noticeable lope but without the right gearing wont be much fun to drive unless your on the highway all the time. I wish I could look for a pick up. I have 6 grand kids and my wife wants a van as a tow vehicle. My most viable option there is a Chevy 3500 series with a diesel, it has a 10,000lb tow rating and would make her happy as well. For right now, the Tahoe has its work cut out for itself. I take you are looking for the 5.9 litre? My nieces husband works for a Dodge dealer south of town and recently took in an 2007 3500 in trade. It had the 5.9. mega cab long bed 4X4 but man that was one looong truck. It was tempting only had 120,*** miles and the dealership would have let it go for $23K
to an employee or family member. The wife wouldn't even look at it. Oh well. gives me more time to squirrel away funds. Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck with your upgrades.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, this is also for a 5.3 and I stuck with 3:73s because it is 2wd and my daily 3:73s are my favorite all around driving gear. I did a 4:10 swap a while ago and was not thrilled, so back to 3:73s I go hahaha. Thanks for the info on the duration, I'll have to make sure I remember to bring everything up when inquiring about the swap, I don't want to be disappointed or have to do the swap twice haha..
Yes, the 5.9. I wouldn't mind a 12 valve either. Finding them is super hard, especially the 3500 dually 2wd 2dr reg cab short bed AND a 5spd haha, its like a unicorn.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on this cam spec? 112 lsa 220/220 cam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins