How capable IS the 2019 Z71 for off-roading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19TahoeZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a '19 Tahoe Z71, first Chevy. Love this thing. About to level it a couple of inches (don't want a full on lifted 'hoe, a couple of inches seems appropriate for my liking). Will also add BFG AT's. With just those modifications, how capable is the Z71 for off-roading on either easy or intermediate rated ORV trails? Family is starting to do more road trips and along the way, there are often fun trails to partake in. Thinking about inclines/grades, ruts, boulders, etc. Nothing too crazy though.

Any experience without other upgrades?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Justin!

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start with the KO2s and go from there.

here’s thecopcar in New Mexico on parts of the backcountry discovery route. We did two trips this year. First one I still had cop tires. The second on KO2s. Mine is a PPV with the dropped police chassis.

I did finally remove the air dam. I could occasionally hear it scrape.

DA58AD8D-B46E-42DF-B17B-7AA704F33BA7.jpeg 43665AA7-8D92-47CB-BCCB-A7019AE88A11.jpeg 8396A195-9A88-40AC-A5DC-4FAC974C8350.jpeg

OP
OP
19TahoeZ71

19TahoeZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I'm specifically referring to trails like the below. Not too much flexing, usually a line available to avoid larger boulders or ruts, any steep inclines, etc. During our socially distanced family Thanksgiving in Estes Park, CO this year (rented a condo, did our own thing with just the wife and kids), I tried out this particular trail. The first part (pictured) is the most advanced of the eight miles, but I ended up turning around just before the hill because I didn't want to do anything to mess up the vehicle that would be taking us back to Texas too (and didn't know at the time that this was the most advanced part, had no idea what was up the hill). Tires are the stock GY Wrangler that came with the '19 Z71. I've never done much off-roading, but would like to, and understand the mechanics of trails very well.

First, here's my 'hoe. Next up are pics of the trail.
61022913_10158830255389062_1523015503608545280_o.jpg

These are not my images, they're from Google and are of the section I mostly already went over. The last is the incline, which really did look about 45 degrees.

5yzqtv29vha31.jpg
IMAG0065.jpg
imageuploadedbyag-free1437407862-554849-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tahoe will pretty much take you anywhere you want to go based on what you said you wanted to do. The biggest problems you will have are it's size, weight, and your driving ability if you want to avoid body damage.

You have basic alum. skid plates, which are a good start but they will not be able to handle the entire weight of the Tahoe if you land on them. You have the front tow hooks and I assume a rear tow pkg. (I would make sure you have a rear clevis to attach and keep a nice long tow strap with you when you are out. Preferably take a friend with another vehicle or hope some one else is on the trail too. I find most offroaders are willing to help if you aren't a jerk. Keep in mind your steps are not "sliders" or strong enough to take a hit either. They will bend or push up into the body if you put them on a rock. It will be some protection though. Your tire placement and picking the right lines through trails will be what saves you and that will come with practice. You will also find, especially in CO, the width of the Tahoe will make the trails pretty narrow at times.

I find with the size of the Tahoe you may want to walk the hill you were talking about first and make sure you have a place to backup or turn around, you never know what's on the other side. As for capability it will do pretty much whatever you ask of it, it will be up to you to decide how much "damage" you are willing to do to it and how hard of trails you are willing to tackle.

OP
OP
19TahoeZ71

19TahoeZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies. What I take is that it will do everything I'd want from it, since I'm not going to advanced trails, however due to my propensity to take extra good care of it so that it sustains for many years to come with as little additional investment as possible, it's probably not what I'd want to take on unknown trails or those that I'm not confident in good trail lines (or when they simply don't exist, for this vehicle). Sounds like I'd be better off renting a Jeep or something already equipped for this, from a local place, and taking that for the day. For most other trails, the Tahoe will suit just fine.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where it will take you and what it will take to do so and what condition you will come out the other side is mostly driver. that said a decent tire does help considerably.

I would do some google and youtube looking on tips how to wheel, esp a truck this size.

example I would take my fwd car up those trails and would expect to do quite well, but my car is not stock and I have been offroad pretty extensively. I would not expect many others to take lesser equipment and make it to the other side.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will go more places than you think, but your get more pin-stripping and dents than you’ll like. Level and some KO2s is a realistic way to slightly improve your approach, clearance, and traction without compromising OEM reliability (or at least the way I think).

I’m more interested in fire and access roads with a family wagon. A Jeep anyway you slice it is a great idea if you want to wheel as a hobby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eduardoa5