How can you afford the cost of a new SUV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a response to your buying a new car is like throwing money out the window...... I agree. But I'm just saying there is a lot of money out there and those people are happy to spend $100K on a new truck. Many pay over MSRP and that is driving the price up for used ones as demand is great. I still drive a 2010 Tahoe and my wife has a 2011 Malibu. I would drive my Tahoe another 10 years but rust issues are starting to appear, thanks to salty Wisconsin winters.... :-(
yes there is plenty of rich people and business's out there that can afford to throw money out the window, I have have a housefull of stuff people toss out because they can afford too. i resell it and make a living off of them.
I will just never be one of them........

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it's only money. I don't say that to mean live frivolously - but don't let it control your life. Max out your retirement accounts, focus on paying off your house (if it isn't already) and with what money is left over, enjoy life - build memories you and your kids will have the rest of their lives.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it's only money. I don't say that to mean live frivolously - but don't let it control your life. Max out your retirement accounts, focus on paying off your house (if it isn't already) and with what money is left over, enjoy life - build memories you and your kids will have the rest of their lives.
Absolutely. Be debt free. That's the key. Retirement accounts are great assuming the market works in your favor when you retire.

I'm all about living it to the fullest. I know plenty who never did and never get to enjoy the fruits of their work.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a response to your buying a new car is like throwing money out the window...... I agree. But I'm just saying there is a lot of money out there and those people are happy to spend $100K on a new truck. Many pay over MSRP and that is driving the price up for used ones as demand is great. I still drive a 2010 Tahoe and my wife has a 2011 Malibu. I would drive my Tahoe another 10 years but rust issues are starting to appear, thanks to salty Wisconsin winters.... :-(
When you find a clean one from out west or down south to replace it, hit me up as a local WI resident and let's rust proof it for long term good looks

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a savings account to cover future repair costs ( '5 Yukon XL )..... Or improvements....

I'd rather do that, than a monthly $500 payment, on a SUV that is nearly like my '05, then the warranty runs out on the one I have been making payments.

In the past, when I just had my wonderful '88 GMC truck, I would rent a Tahoe for a long-fun trip.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In response to the OP, when we purchased our 2021 Yukon it by far was the most expensive vehicle purchase for us but we wanted something we liked, room for the kids and hopefully last us a good 10 yrs.

As for affording it, my wife runs a business and it pays for the Yukon, plus it helped with tax liability when we purchased.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My answer is simple I can’t afford the cost of a new one of these SUV’s. To make it worse, I doubt I would spend the money on one if I could.
Some years ago, I was at the 24 Hours at Daytona. Near our pit-garage, there was a GM tent. Later I checked out the new Tahoe. Holy crap !! $78,000 ?? It was not a Surburban..

mrrairai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Past few years if you bought right you could make money/drive your car for free (no depreciation even when trading)

Many people have no idea when buying and get hosed with markups and fees.

For me and my family we travel a lot and spend a lot of time in our family vehicle so we want safety and options. Many could care less. It's all about the individual and their needs/wants.

I'm thinking of ordering a new z06. Why? Cuz I want one built to my spec. Sure I could put 130k into a single family home and rent it and make some residual income (already do that) but where's the enjoyment? Lol
This right here is the post!! Its all about the individual. I make over $200K and I will have a 25 Escalade because it is what I want and have worked many years for. There must be some enjoyment in life. I'm all for saving money and I applaud it but there has to be a balance. I never understood people that save their whole lives just to die and pass it on to someone else. Honestly makes no sense to me. Not saying that's the case in this forum but I've seen it all too often where people don't enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10