Horrendous FOG kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to return the kit I purchased.

Last year I ordered a HID fog light kit for my Suburban LS. The truck had no fogs. According to the rep I chatted with, I was ordering a kit that would work with the headlights. When the headlights come on, the fog lights would come on. This would work with the factory wiring and it is a simple install just following directions.

First off the instructions were not included with the kit. That was a chore just acquiring the directions. Next it took months to find an installer that would actually do the installation...a professional that does lights as part of his main staple of work. Even my mechanic who did all the suspension work on the truck and has a general repair shop was not willing to take this on, and he has an HID installer on staff. The installer I chose is someone that is recommended highly on different message boards and by three persons I know personally that had work done by this particular installer (Reed Audio of Glen Rock NJ). He had to call Vanquish tech support because the wiring was backwards...and your instructions were incorrect. On top of that it cost over $500 to install the kit because the length of the wires was too short - he had to extend everything in order to make this work in my truck. So much for plug and play. To top it all off, after less than 24 hours of operation, my passenger side lights are now off. Not just the fog light, but the headlight bulb as well. I already spent a good hour sweating under the truck making sure all the connections are good and tight, and they are. This is ridiculous. Thoroughly disappointed with this kit and the level of quality from a $400 set of fog lights. I could have spent less and had the dealership install a factory set with a switch and programmed my BCM.

I am requesting an immediate refund. Find my records in your system and refund my money. I've already sent an email with my contact information. I'm disgusted.

PAChevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good luck, horrible customer service. After a month of promises from them to send me new HID bulbs that were defective at time of purchase I ended up throwing the entire kit in the trash and reinstalling the halogen bulbs. I recently checked their website and they don't even sell the HID kit or the LED fog light bulbs I bought 6 months ago. Good luck getting a response from them.

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck, horrible customer service. After a month of promises from them to send me new HID bulbs that were defective at time of purchase I ended up throwing the entire kit in the trash and reinstalling the halogen bulbs. I recently checked their website and they don't even sell the HID kit or the LED fog light bulbs I bought 6 months ago. Good luck getting a response from them.
I think they should be removed from the forum as a sponsor. Enough is enough.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been on here almost a year to date, every complaint I have seen on this site is in reference to vanquish, occasionally I see a response from them but not often. just my input regarding the matter. I also understand that retro fitting lights or adding something that is not "factory" can be tricky and you have to sometimes just figure things out on your own I started adding HID's and LED's almost 2 decades ago, one thing to keep in mind is HID's & LED's (in general) have a positive and negative pole, where standard incandescent bulbs do not so you have to make sure you use a electrical meter and be sure to check for positive polarity and grounds and basically vehicle electrical systems are grounded to the frame so even if a wire is a ground it may not necessarily be the best choice to use as a ground especially with higher powered lighting which should simply be grounded to frame whenever possible. just my 2 cents. good luck.

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been on here almost a year to date, every complaint I have seen on this site is in reference to vanquish, occasionally I see a response from them but not often. just my input regarding the matter. I also understand that retro fitting lights or adding something that is not "factory" can be tricky and you have to sometimes just figure things out on your own I started adding HID's and LED's almost 2 decades ago, one thing to keep in mind is HID's & LED's (in general) have a positive and negative pole, where standard incandescent bulbs do not so you have to make sure you use a electrical meter and be sure to check for positive polarity and grounds and basically vehicle electrical systems are grounded to the frame so even if a wire is a ground it may not necessarily be the best choice to use as a ground especially with higher powered lighting which should simply be grounded to frame whenever possible. just my 2 cents. good luck.

The installer is top notch from the work he showed me and from those I spoke with that had work done by him. Both of them said he was expensive but was the best.

Vanquished claimed this particular fog kit fit the tahoe/suburban....was plug and play, and the fogs would come on when the headlights came on. I also explained that this was an LS...no fogs and the DRLs were the standard DRLs not the LED strip like the LTZs. They told me no problem. I wish I had a recording of the chat transcript. Now that its all hooked up, one side doesn't work. The installer has to assume its a bad ballast because it wont pass the electrical to the headlight...but as soon as you bypass the fog kit, the headlight works no problem. Not to mention the fogs are on ALL THE TIME. Not the bill of goods I was told I was getting. Plus all the BS the installer had to go thru by reversing the polarity and extending the wires for it to reach properly. So much for "plug and play".

I'm in this for $950 between the fog kit and installation and all I got at of it at this point was a pair of Fog pods installed because I will probably have to buy a kit form the installer. It would have been cheaper to go to a dealership and pay to have them hook up the factory setup and buy a pair of LEDs bulbs. I'm not attacking your reply, just defending my position on the matter.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The installer is top notch from the work he showed me and from those I spoke with that had work done by him. Both of them said he was expensive but was the best.

Vanquished claimed this particular fog kit fit the tahoe/suburban....was plug and play, and the fogs would come on when the headlights came on. I also explained that this was an LS...no fogs and the DRLs were the standard DRLs not the LED strip like the LTZs. They told me no problem. I wish I had a recording of the chat transcript. Now that its all hooked up, one side doesn't work. The installer has to assume its a bad ballast because it wont pass the electrical to the headlight...but as soon as you bypass the fog kit, the headlight works no problem. Not to mention the fogs are on ALL THE TIME. Not the bill of goods I was told I was getting. Plus all the BS the installer had to go thru by reversing the polarity and extending the wires for it to reach properly. So much for "plug and play".

I'm in this for $950 between the fog kit and installation and all I got at of it at this point was a pair of Fog pods installed because I will probably have to buy a kit form the installer. It would have been cheaper to go to a dealership and pay to have them hook up the factory setup and buy a pair of LEDs bulbs. I'm not attacking your reply, just defending my position on the matter.
I understand completely if it's junk and it doesn't work when done properly then it's exactly that "junk" I have found that many of the "newer" ballast especially the small supposedly "digital" ballast are straight garbage, I got tired of buying junk ballast and now I purposely look for older ballast that are made better, I think they try to cut corners and build them with cheaper parts and they just don't hold up, one way you can determine if it is a ballast or not is to swap the ballast from one side to the other and see if the problem follows the ballast, if the problem is the ballast and you cant get your money back at least then you can just find a good set of ballast and get everything going again since (aftermarket) ballast are universal with the only difference being they are either 35w or 55w.