Hood skin separation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PenultimateLap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, just picked up a 03 z71 suburban from a close friend and going through and sorting it out. I noticed the hood interferes with the fender up near the cowl, so I suspected crash damage or hinge damage. Upon closer inspection it appears that the hood skin is separating from the frame at the seam allowing the hood to flare out and lose its shape. Has this happened to anyone else? Almost like the new version of the buckling hood conundrum that plagues squarebody trucks. Thanks.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hello all, just picked up a 03 z71 suburban from a close friend and going through and sorting it out. I noticed the hood interferes with the fender up near the cowl, so I suspected crash damage or hinge damage. Upon closer inspection it appears that the hood skin is separating from the frame at the seam allowing the hood to flare out and lose its shape. Has this happened to anyone else? Almost like the new version of the buckling hood conundrum that plagues squarebody trucks. Thanks.
I've never heard or seen anyone having an issue like that before. Is it an oem hood, or aftermarket? Do you live in a salty state? What exactly does the hood look like where it's separating? Is there any visible rust or any other type of corrosion? Pics would help.

OP
OP
P

PenultimateLap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never heard or seen anyone having an issue like that before. Is it an oem hood, or aftermarket? Do you live in a salty state? What exactly does the hood look like where it's separating? Is there any visible rust or any other type of corrosion? Pics would help.
It's original and I know he babied it which is why I thought it was weird. I'm in sunny CA so there's not a bit of rust. It was too dark for pictures, but I'll grab some tomorrow.

OP
OP
P

PenultimateLap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you can see the folded seam is openning up. Its right at the spot where the hinge force would stress it. Just wondering if it was a known issue at all. Might just be time for a HD swap, ha!

Attachments

• 20220220_110922.jpg
    20220220_110922.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 9

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
you can see the folded seam is openning up. Its right at the spot where the hinge force would stress it. Just wondering if it was a known issue at all. Might just be time for a HD swap, ha!
Strange, never seen that before. Looks like the seam sealer/body adhesive just gave up right there. I bet a body guy would have an answer. Does that area flex when opening and closing the hood? Are the hinges really stiff?

OP
OP
P

PenultimateLap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah it bends right there. doesn't seem overly stiff. Probably just end up refitting the seam to get it back onto shape and tack weld it back to the inner structure...

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use panel adhesive first then c clamp with 2x4 on hood surface and smaller peice of metal on seam on bottom and leave it set a day first tack weld as last resort, any more panels are glued together good luck.