HIDs Installed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good. 5000K is my favorite. Glad to see you put them in projectors!

I recommend the 4-high mod if you haven't done it already.

Yep, got the projectors because I've wanted Denali housings for a long time, and I knew that I was probably going to scoop an HID kit from DDM since they are so inexpensive. Very happy with the cutoff, but I might need to mod the housings just a little...I have a few odd artifacts/hot spots, especially coming off of the passenger side.

Good suggestion on the 4-hi mod...but I'm the one that did the write up on it! Already done. :) :Handshake:

Driving to work today was great...much more light, much easier to see the 6 (yes, 6) elk that were standing RIGHT in the middle of the road today. A bull and five cows from what I saw. I guess I picked a good time to install these things. The highbeams combined with the output of the HID lows is amazing - I can see at least 200 yards in front of my truck if the road is straight.

Dubbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done with the 4high mod just a drop in hid kit on the high's?? i know its not a projector for the high's and would scatter the light, but when you have your high's on there shouldn't be any other cars around

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
This is totally off-topic, but Max, what is going on in that video clip in your sig??

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. I saw that video once before and if I remember correctly it was guys in drag flaming on the roadside when one gets plowed into by that truck. He did not even see it coming.

As for the hids that is a noticible difference in lighting. I should have mine by Friday but unfortunatly I will be working. May not get them installed for another week after that!

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done with the 4high mod just a drop in hid kit on the high's?? i know its not a projector for the high's and would scatter the light, but when you have your high's on there shouldn't be any other cars around

As far as output, I'm sure it would increase exponentially, even with the light scattering from the reflector housing...the problem with HIDs in the highs is that they need some warm up time to reach full output, and most people need their highs a little faster than 10-15 seconds (something suddenly in the road, etc).

I'm perfectly satisfied with my halogen highs.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering getting 70w HID's for the highs. I know it would take a bit of warm-up, but can you imagine how much light that would put out with my 6-high mod and HID's all-around??

LOL

I also drive lonely, very dark roads. Instead of deer and elk to run into, we have moose and bears. If you had to find worse animals to run into, those are them. ;)

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuke2K, don't you have driving lights on your truck? If so, buy a kit for them, talk about lighting up the road, not so much long distance but complements the HID lows!!

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I HAD fogs at one time, lol. The driver's side is completely torn to shreds...no lens, bulb is corroded out of the housing, reflector is black from weathering. Not sure WTF happened there, honestly. Probably all of the nasty snowstorms I've been through with this thing. The passenger side is there and works, but the lens is so cloudy it looks like shit turn on, let alone with an HID bulb.

I've been thinking about replacing them with factory fogs, but the assemblies are ~$65 each, and I might be doing something a little different with the front end within the next 6 months...the factory bumper might be going away completely so I don't want to spend the money right now.

ETA: Eventually though, I WILL be adding HID down there, I promise. :D

Last edited:

MGoBlue2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought the 35w 6k HIDs from DDm for the denali projectors. I also bought 35w 6k for the fogs. Now I ahve a 2001 yukon ( not denali) but I have the denali projectors. I also bought the old style denali fog projectors (2000) model. I installed the lows and they are ok, a little to blue for me but they will be ok. The light pattern on the driver is great but the passenger looks like its down and to the left. I might have to play with it a little. My question is on the fogs where did anybody mount the ballast??? And do we think this is over kill. Thanks for any responses. This has to be the best forum, so much info on everything. Thanks to all.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted my fog ballasts above the fog lights, on the bumper plastic housing for the fogs, there is a perfect flat spot there and they are kinda sheltered!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n