HID help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayeplussjr

Reaction score
I just purchased a 5000K 55 watt HID kit. Anybody using this type of setup in the stock tahoe reflector headlights or even in a set of DEPO's? My concern is the light scattering and the visibility with the 5000K. It doesn't snow where I live so I don't have to worry about that except for occasional trips to Lake Tahoe. If anyone can give me their opinions in weather conditions with 5000k setup I'd appreciate it.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Your visibility will be great as long as it's not dark and raining or snowing.

Other drivers may have issues with the brightness. Make sure you adjust them as best you can to keep the beam down and out of their eyes.

I know several people on here have 5000k lows...not sure how many have the 55 watters though.

OP
OP
ayeplussjr

ayeplussjr

Reaction score
Your visibility will be great as long as it's not dark and raining or snowing.

Other drivers may have issues with the brightness. Make sure you adjust them as best you can to keep the beam down and out of their eyes.

I know several people on here have 5000k lows...not sure how many have the 55 watters though.

Thx Denali...I kind of wanted to ask around for people that have this set up...Since I take the occasional trips to Lake Tahoe it gets pretty dark in the road at night sometimes, I don't want to blind anyone as well, so I'm thinking of returning them for the 4500K 35 watt. But, I'd like to get others feedback as well. I think Max runs 5000K 55 watt on his Denali but he has the projector lights I think. Will his projector set up have a completely different beam pattern than mine when I get my DEPO's?

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
If you get DEPO projectors, they should be similar patterns. Just be sure to get projectors.

But yeah, in a reflector those 55w are going to push the limit of people's patience I think. Not sure I'd return them, though, if you are getting projectors. The 5000K will still have a ton of light. To you it'll probably look almost pure white. It's mostly the on-coming view that notices the blue.

I don't know...six of one, half dozen of the other. In my opinion, it just depends on how long you'll actually be running them in reflectors. If you're not changing for a while, you may be better off with the 4500k 35w just so you don't piss too many people off. If you're going straight to the DEPO's, I probably wouldn't do anything until I tried them out.

Hopefully someone will have that setup and be able to give you the info/opinions you need.

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't 55w 5000's look similar in color to 35w 4300's? I thought the higher wattage washed out the color?

Either way, running the HID's in Tahoe reflectors is just going to piss people off. I'd seriously look to get Depo's asap.

OP
OP
ayeplussjr

ayeplussjr

Reaction score
Wouldn't 55w 5000's look similar in color to 35w 4300's? I thought the higher wattage washed out the color?

Either way, running the HID's in Tahoe reflectors is just going to piss people off. I'd seriously look to get Depo's asap.

I wasn't planning on putting them in until I got the DEPO's which should hopefully be sometime next week. Sounds like the HID's with the DEPO's should put out a good beam pattern and not get me flashed on.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score

The 55w 5000k still show a little more blue on the oncoming side of things. Output from the driver's perspective is pretty similar to that of 35w 4300-4500k. Here's a pic of my old car with 55w 5000k's from the side. You'll see how blue they look:

IMG_0171-2.gif

OP
OP
ayeplussjr

ayeplussjr

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering going the retrofit route through lightwerkz...a bit pricey but I'd rather get it done right if it's going to be done at all. I'm just waiting on them to respond back if they can use the DDM D2S HID kit instead the HID's they use since they charge about 130-140 more for their kit.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY WITH HID'S SHOULD READ THIS!!!!
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Now, if you read this, there is no good way to put HID's into a vehicle that didn't come with them. BUT, if you are, you HAVE to use projectors. If you stick those lights into your stock halogen reflector housings, you will blind people. I absolutely hate when people stick HID's into halogen REFLECTOR headlight housings. BLINDING!! Unless you take proper precautions and make a bulb reflector for the light. I use DEPO projectors, halogen projectors though, and they do work quite well. But, would love to do a retrofit like DenaliAK did. Just my opinoin everyone.
As far as Kelvin rating. Your 5k bulbs will be ok. They aren't much bluer then 4300k bulbs. Very, very very, slight hint of blue. I have used 6k and were extremely white with a hint of blue, mostly along cutoff. I like OEM 4300k Phillips or Osram bulbs though. But nothing wrong with 5k or even 6k bulbs. Anything higher, 8k,10k or up, is just radiculous. IMO. Asking to be pulled over by the cops. Can't have blue visible light seen from the front.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yeah, one of the mods should just sticky that. Then when we get all the HID questions, we can say "read this before asking HID questions."

;)