Help with white LED light swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are posts on this but has anyone swapped out all LEd lights in their gauges, HAVOC controls, and all the instrument lights in general so that they apear hyper white? Im swapping mine out but there is blue coating on the 4x4 lettering and cant figure out a good way to get this blue coating off. I ve already broke the auto/4wd button and luckily found a replacement at the junk yard but I can really afford to test any more ways out because they just had the one extra auto/4wd button, the 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO was missing. Thanks for looking and your comments.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are posts on this but has anyone swapped out all LEd lights in their gauges, HAVOC controls, and all the instrument lights in general so that they apear hyper white? Im swapping mine out but there is blue coating on the 4x4 lettering and cant figure out a good way to get this blue coating off. I ve already broke the auto/4wd button and luckily found a replacement at the junk yard but I can really afford to test any more ways out because they just had the one extra auto/4wd button, the 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO was missing. Thanks for looking and your comments.

what year is your truck? i didn't notice any blue coating on the switches i took apart.

OP
OP
NOPROBROBB

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a 2002, the coating is on the back side of the buttons that are labeled auto/4wd, 2 hi, 4 hi, and 4lo. Everything else has has a blue coating over the bulb so far but i havent did the fog light button/rear wiper box and the ac and heat controls.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a 2002, the coating is on the back side of the buttons that are labeled auto/4wd, 2 hi, 4 hi, and 4lo. Everything else has has a blue coating over the bulb so far but i havent did the fog light button/rear wiper box and the ac and heat controls.

maybe using an exacto knife, you could see if you can scrap the coating off???

OP
OP
NOPROBROBB

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alrighty, thanks. Im really jealous yours didnt have the blue coating on. Do you have all white interior lights? Or what color did you do yours?

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alrighty, thanks. Im really jealous yours didnt have the blue coating on. Do you have all white interior lights? Or what color did you do yours?

to be honest, i didn't look to see if there was a blue coating, but then again there wasn't anything about them that caught my eye. but i ended up going with blue leds. although i'm debating about maybe using white ones for the seat warmer switches and the homelink buttons. and possibly switching out the orange leds in the hvac and 4x4 switch with green or some other color.

OP
OP
NOPROBROBB

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for your input, is there any advice you can share doing this, i ve never soldered before this. But i ve got to say i feel alot better soldering now than when i was working on my first one of this project

diffrnt

Say...What!
Reaction score
Dude, I have an 02 also and found out about the blue coating. I started out using super white leds and got to that same point and found the blue coatings. So at that point I decided to make the dash blue and the window switches white. If you can figured out how to get the blue off without damaging the buttons, please let me know.

OP
OP
NOPROBROBB

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, I have an 02 also and found out about the blue coating. I started out using super white leds and got to that same point and found the blue coatings. So at that point I decided to make the dash blue and the window switches white. If you can figured out how to get the blue off without damaging the buttons, please let me know.

LOL, that made me laugh, i bet you were thinking WTF when you hit the 4x4 buttons, i know i was. I got one extra button from the junk yard, im going to try scraping that and see how it looks, but im working on my ac lights right now.

If that doesnt work though then i was thinking of doing exactly what you just mentioned

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for your input, is there any advice you can share doing this, i ve never soldered before this. But i ve got to say i feel alot better soldering now than when i was working on my first one of this project

the biggest problems i had were finding a good spot to put the resistor and making sure that the + lead from the led didn't touch the wiring before the resistor. had that happen on an a/c light and the led burnt out.

hit me up with any questions. i started out a little unsure, but i'm now pretty comfortable with the soldering and taking apart the switches. the overhead rear a/c switch was a pain, because of the way it was wired. took me a little longer to figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syngyn

Latest posts