Help me choose a cat-back!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Borla touring, and mine does have the V4 flapper valve. They may make versions that don't? Best to check Borla's website.
I am pleased with it. If you sit in the 3rd row it is loud when someone accelerates but up at the drivers seat sounds perfect. My wife even liked it after we got it installed. Fit and finish was top notch and looks great with the dual tips.

Apparently the GM Performance Parts version of the Borla exhaust has the flapper. The aftermarket version that you buy direct from Borla does not. Despite it being up with Corsa on the high end of the price scale, I think I may try the Borla.

The Gibson people were very nice when I asked about head-pipe mating issues and leaks I'd seen online, but I just worry about the quality of their kit at literally half the cost of competing exhausts. While I would appreciate the cost savings, I would also appreciate not having to crawl under the truck to fix the exhaust ever again.

The Corsa quality and design looks great and you won't find a single bad review ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET. They also offer a very attractive discount through my GOVX account. But I just think it'll be too loud for my circumstances.

The MBRP has exceptional design, quality and a decent customer support team at a LOW price but at the end of the day I can't reconcile the fact that it sounds like a parts store cherry bomb. Numerous online reviews indicated that the interior resonance is VERY bad.

Due to the concerns I raised before, a "muffler delete" isn't an option. I want to do this one more time with a good quality cat-back and never worry about my exhaust again.

If Flowmaster made a kit for the Suburban I'd be all in because I'm a die-hard fan of the Flowmaster sound. Alas, they do not.

I think the Borla will give me what I'm looking for, but I am worried about DRONE because I had a Borla muffler welded in place of the stock muffler for about 3 weeks before I got sick of the booming drone and ripped it out.

Still can't decide...

Last edited:

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The backstory on my exhaust is I found it on marketplace via an individual that buys damaged amazon freight. The system was for a 6.2L Tahoe/Yukon and had a small (50 cent piece) size dent on the top of the muffler. Other than that it was brand new. So I drove up to Topeka, inspected it, said yup that will work and handed the man $500. Once home, I went to a local exhaust shop here in Wichita and had them install it as well as bend up the piece that would allow it to fit my Yukon XL. The system is not a GM part numbered Borla system. And it does have the flapper valve in it. Now they may have changed that and got rid of it. The GM factory exhaust the valve is behind the muffler, on the Borla system it was/is in front of the muffler. The exhaust system was the first mod back in Nov 2020, after owning the SUV for over 4 years at that point.
To answer your question on the drone, no it doesn't have any. To my preference, it has the right sound (quiet) for trips, errand running, etc, but has a nice decibel when the skinny pedal is to the floor.
Attached are some pictures from when I got it installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_122016.jpg
    IMG_20201011_122016.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20201017_085615.jpg
    IMG_20201017_085615.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20201017_085709.jpg
    IMG_20201017_085709.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 38

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Corsa sport Catback single passenger exit dual tip on my suburban, sounds so damn good, cold start is loud but calms to a nice slightly raspy rumble, highway cruise is quiet stomp on it and the angels sing…. V4 is still enabled but I don’t mind it sounding like a big liter tractor motor.

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Corsa sport Catback single passenger exit dual tip on my suburban, sounds so damn good, cold start is loud but calms to a nice slightly raspy rumble, highway cruise is quiet stomp on it and the angels sing…. V4 is still enabled but I don’t mind it sounding like a big liter tractor motor.

Thank you. I have my AFM disabled via tune, so not a concern thankfully. I see many guys with the aftermarket exhausts and the AFM activation sounds horrible.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
3 co workers have borla exhaust and they all love them and they sound awesome!
They have the atak mufflers so it’s a bit loud

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You still haven’t decided?!? Lol
It doesn't appear so.

The OP has received more good quality information on his question than I have ever seen in one thread on this topic. Excellent feedback.

Time to sh*t or get off the pot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972