Help a Newbie Out - Looking for an '09+ Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been in the Jeep world since I got my license (15years ago!) so I need some help. I'm looking to buy a new truck and the Tahoe is #1 on my list. I've also considered a newer hemi Grand Cherokee/Commander but the full-time AWD and the poor interior keeps me away.

Anyway, I'd like to come in under $30k and I'd really like the '09+ for the 6-sp. I need help picking which trim level I need. My only two real demands are heated seats (it gets COLD up here in MA) and the towing package. Right now I tow my race cars with my buddies '06 TBSS on my 24' steel open trailer. I'd love an integrated brake controller...but not sure if any of the '09s had that option. I have an external controller so it isn't a big deal.

So please let me know what to look for, what problems I should keep an eye out for, and if anyones selling one! :)

Thanks guys

atalakoub

Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

I am here in Mass too and was on the same hunt in the fall. I ended up with an 07 cause of a great deal i got on one with low miles. The heated seats are great and if you are going to do a lot of towing you will proabably appreciate the 6spd tranny. It will be tough to get an 09 under 30 unless its an LS (no leather or heated seats or the good tow package) or high miles. I have been to every dealership in the area and can def keep you away from the sucky ones. I would reccomend staying with an LT and if you want the chevy trailer brake, try to negotiate that into the deal after they won't budge anymore. Otherwise, you can get an aftermarket one.

I still have my 96 Cherokee, but this is a hell of a vehicle and I highly recommend.

What part of Mass are you in?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely go with an LT or above and as stated you may have to move down a year or two to get below 30k if you want low miles. I about my 07 burb last summer. It's a 3LT package with captain chairs and pretty much everything but navigation. It had about 108k miles on it but drive extremely nice and was extremely clean. I only paid $21k for it which is about $7k less than what NADA says it's worth. We love it and have had no problems with it so far outside of regular maintenance items!! :)

jcrack_corn

Reaction score
under 30 for what will be a loaded 09 (due to the options/combinations you want) is just not going to happen unless the miles are WAYYYY up there (probably 75k+).

either go older, forget the heated leather seats, or wait another year.

the good news is that these vehicles are extremely popular and hold their value well.

atalakoub

Reaction score
The OD ratio on both trannys are roughly the same, so the only difference will be slightly the 6sp keeps you in low rpm longer.

I got got an 07 LT3 off lease with under 25k miles in Sept with nav for close to 30k, so you knock off a few options and add in the trailer brake and you should be good to go.

Also, if you get an off color, you will have an easier time. I was offered a Blue 09 LT for 28k with 45k miles on it.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa....'07 LTs with 50k miles still go for $30k around here. No way in hell you'd even get an '09 LS for under $30k....unless the market is totally different in Maryland, I think you're hopes are awfully high for that price range. If you want heated seats that probably means either a 2-LT, 3-LT or LTZ.

The 6-spd tranny isn't all that awesome, either. I've driven a couple new Tahoes with the 6-spd and I HATED it. It's constantly searching for gears while city driving and first and second gear are extremely awkward.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a loaded 08 Tahoe LTZ for 35k before TTL with 20k miles. My friend around the same time got a loaded 07 Yukon SLT for 29k before TTL with 48k miles. It can happen, you just have to find the right deal! Both of these deals were f'n steals at the time of purchase (April 2010)

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a loaded 08 Tahoe LTZ for 35k before TTL with 20k miles. My friend around the same time got a loaded 07 Yukon SLT for 29k before TTL with 48k miles. It can happen, you just have to find the right deal! Both of these deals were f'n steals at the time of purchase (April 2010)

nice!! those are great prices!...and I thought I got a good price on mine at the time :Handshake:

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your best bet would be to go with an 08 fully loaded with lower miles. I don't think the 6 speed transmission will make a great deal of difference.

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track in looking for the 6-speed but you will have to up your budget if you can. I have had both and tow a 4500 pound boat and the 6 speed is MUCH better with towing. With the 4 speed 4th was too high a gear for towing and 3rd was to many RPM's at highway speed. With the 6 speed 5th gear is perfect at highway speeds. Enough RPM's that it doesn't shift at every slight incline but not so much that it seems like it is racing and wastes gas.

Yes it shifts more with regular driving but that is to be expected and doesn't bother me at all. The OD is a taller ratio but saves a little gas and is quieter.
The 6 speed is also considered to be more reliable. My 4 speed went out at 23K and not from towing (broken sun shield/gear).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metal2forall