Hello from Waco!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TeleTahoe

TeleTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They were the original stock pads. I had a mechanic tell me that GM changed/upgraded the brakes on the 2001 to 2006 Chevy trucks as the prior 1988-1998 Trucks were notorious for poor brakes and they ended up over engineering them. We would always have them checked for wear every time I would have something done but they always were fine. They finally replaced the pads at 217,000. I was impressed!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Your truck is in outstanding condition!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
must have really babied it, a set of the best stock Front pads last me about 6 months even the HD police pads, rear pads in general will go longer anyway.

OP
OP
TeleTahoe

TeleTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just normal driving. About 75% of the miles were highway miles. Wow, 6 months on a set of pads? Are you doing daily towing of heavy trailers up and down mountain passes?

I used to own a 2008 Honda Accord which was a new body style model year. After 33,000 miles my front pads and rotors wore out and had to be replaced. Turns out they downsized the rotors from the year before to save money.

There was a Service bulletin on the problem and the dealer offered to pay half of the cost to repair them. This was a big topic for discussion amongst Honda Owners at the time, some were only getting 15,000 miles before having to replace their brakes.

I had the dealership check the back brakes while there and they said they were fine. At 39,000 miles, the rear brake pads and rotors were gone. After much discussion with the Regional Manager for Honda, they agreed to pay half of the cost that one time. After that I was on my own.

I was using this car for work and was putting about 24,000/year miles and decided I didn't want to have to replace pads and rotors every 1 1/2 years and promptly traded it in for a Toyota Tacoma and never looked back. I sold that truck with 95,000 miles about 4 years later and never had a brake job on it.

I realize that my Tahoe is unusual with the brake life but I have known many Tahoe owners of the NBS model years and they all had longer than normal brake life on theirs. I'm sure GM realized their mistake and down graded the brake systems on the later years.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just normal driving. About 75% of the miles were highway miles. Wow, 6 months on a set of pads? Are you doing daily towing of heavy trailers up and down mountain passes?

I used to own a 2008 Honda Accord which was a new body style model year. After 33,000 miles my front pads and rotors wore out and had to be replaced. Turns out they downsized the rotors from the year before to save money.

There was a Service bulletin on the problem and the dealer offered to pay half of the cost to repair them. This was a big topic for discussion amongst Honda Owners at the time, some were only getting 15,000 miles before having to replace their brakes.

I had the dealership check the back brakes while there and they said they were fine. At 39,000 miles, the rear brake pads and rotors were gone. After much discussion with the Regional Manager for Honda, they agreed to pay half of the cost that one time. After that I was on my own.

I was using this car for work and was putting about 24,000/year miles and decided I didn't want to have to replace pads and rotors every 1 1/2 years and promptly traded it in for a Toyota Tacoma and never looked back. I sold that truck with 95,000 miles about 4 years later and never had a brake job on it.

I realize that my Tahoe is unusual with the brake life but I have known many Tahoe owners of the NBS model years and they all had longer than normal brake life on theirs. I'm sure GM realized their mistake and down graded the brake systems on the later years.
Actually the front rotors and calipers got bigger in 07. Many guys, including myself have used the front brakes from the nnbs as a cheap brake upgrade. Rear brakes did get smaller tho--you don't want those.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no, I just drive it like it was made to be driven, I have found that good aftermarket premium ceramic pads last much longer usually those last me about a year and half, 2 years max.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01