Headlight replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted on here. Just got a quick question. My driver's side headlight is out. I popped the hood and tried to plan how I would dissemble the headlight but it appears to be a lot harder than I thought it would be. I've also had issues with moisture getting into the headlight housing, which appears to be from a faulty seal. I'm not the most mechanical person so I'm a little lost. I did install my CAI and the wiring for my system that included the Big 3, a second battery and replacing all the factory wiring to zero gauge, but I'm somewhat lost on how to change the headlight. Would it be better for me to just take it in to the mechanic to get the headlight replaced or should I give it a try myself? If you guys have any instructions or "how to" videos, that would be awesome and I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time!

OP
OP
Denali0229

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did one myself last week on the 2008....it's a pain...but not awful. Unless of course you added a second battery. Here are the steps:

1.) Remove the second battery tray. (8 bolts if I recall.)
2.) Remove the top bolt holding the washer fluid reservoir in place. With the top bolt out, you can push it out of the way.
3.) Peel back the rubber flap.
4.) Work your hand behind the bulb assembly, twist to the left and pull. It will pop out.

If you have to do the passenger side, the process is similar, although the air cleaner box must be removed to gain access.

The GM manual suggests removing the front bumper to make this repair, and they also recommend replacing all the bulbs at one time so you don't have to repeat the exercise. At my dealer that would be a $250 bill. I paid $11 for a stock H11 bulb.

Remember not to touch the bulb...the oil from your fingers will get on the glass and it will shatter when it gets hot.

OP
OP
Denali0229

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got it replaced at Goodyear. Cost $138. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Denali0229

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$138

:doublepuke:

:insane:

Hopefully the NNNBS is easy like the NBS

Lol. Yeah seemed kinda steep but I can't be driving around at night with one headlight especially if I've had a drink or two. Not that I would drive drunk :eek:) This thread makes me want to listen to the One Headlight son.

la silver bullet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $60 bucks for my HID conversion with relays and installed it myself its been 6 months and no problems at all.

OP
OP
Denali0229

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how long do you guys think it would take a shop to replace the headlight? I ask b/c I inspected the headlight and it doesn't appear they replaced the headlight. I'm thinking now maybe a fuse blew and they just replaced it and said they replaced the headlight. Or maybe a wire was loose?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts