Headers For 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bezzy20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to purchace new headers for my 2000 Tahoe Z71. It is still the old body style with the 5.7L engine. I am also trying to figure out which cat and exhuast system would be best with the headers? Anyone got any suggestions?

3-lot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was happy, and have been happy with edelbrock headers with 3/8 flange.
i have had them on my truck and installed several on others.
any cat back is fine really, depends on the sound you are going for. they are all tuned so they are not going to vary a great deal.
flowmaster on a GM has always sounded good to me.
Magnaflow makes a high flow y-pipe with cats for the vortec 5.7 as well but start with a catback and youll be happy.
just remember, you have to put in what your pushing out to make any real difference, you need to upgrade air intake, (fresh air intake, throttle body spacer, TB mod, etc.)

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run JBA headers, I had many sets of headman and do NOT recomend them. As for the cat back system I run a borla. I also have the magnaflow cats and like them. I always was blowing out the stock cats.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOAH WOAGH MAGNA FLOW MAKES A Y-PIPE?

LINK LINK LINK...

If this fits LT's this will be ****...I'm cross thread you guys to another forum discussion this will be my next mod.

here is the FYI
we all know LT headers for our trucks can get pricy, and shortys are not worth the money IMO, i didnt notice a big difference, and NOONE but the Summit shorty headers(pacesetter)just trust me on this, they fell apart when i took them off a few days ago, and they are only 2 years old. So when i was in the market for new headers, i came across some Hedmen long tubes on summit for a pre 95 OBS, $280, and they are ceramic coated. So i bought them, of coarse your exhaust has to be modified, but that was no biggie. i by passed the EGR, IMO it wasnt worth keeping. the 02 sensors are long enough to be welded into the collectors that come with the headers. so for me, it was pretty much a bolt in deal, besides the exhuast. so if your willing to do away with the EGR and mod your exhaust, then these can easily be made to work with not alot of modding.

just some food for thought "
"

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

There is a big price difference AND ALOT cheaper and longer lastng the PACESETTER LTS

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Thorley Tri-Ys (not yet installed) but, have done quite a bit of research and they seem to have had the better results in fit, finish and power.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OVER A ***** G?

HAHAHA you can find MAGNA CATS for 50 a piece and custom fab a YPIPE for less then a grand!

Link to thorley tri Y

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can you find magnaflow cats for $50 a pc? Are you thinking of ThunderBolt cats?

I got my Thorleys for $590 + s/h, they're ceramic coated and come with all the hardware and gaskets. Thorleys is the only company(that I know of) who will give you everything you need to do the install. With NO mods to your exsisting exhaust.
Its the most complete kit, period.....

http://www.rocky-road.com/thorley.html

over 10 pages from Summit
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=thorley tri y headers&dds=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JIMEMAC33