Head Unit Wiring Harnesses Q.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeSSer

Reaction score
I'm about to order the following below from SonicElectronics along with the headunit plate and antenna adapter.

Has anyone installed the following and any issues/pitfalls/benefits of note come to mind? Was it easy, any wiring complexities/dynamics come to mind? Have you had any issues since install?

I've done a straightforward harness before, but not these. I'd like to keep my steering wheel control and chime. I've replaced my whole Bose system with an Alpine Deck powered by an MTX 5 channel amp, all speakers replaced with 2 sets of Alpine 6.5 components and 12inch ported and boxed sub.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22808_Axxess-ASWC.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9904_Scosche-GM09SR-GM09SRB.html

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to order the following below from SonicElectronics along with the headunit plate and antenna adapter.

Has anyone installed the following and any issues/pitfalls/benefits of note come to mind? Was it easy, any wiring complexities/dynamics come to mind? Have you had any issues since install?

I've done a straightforward harness before, but not these. I'd like to keep my steering wheel control and chime. I've replaced my whole Bose system with an Alpine Deck powered by an MTX 5 channel amp, all speakers replaced with 2 sets of Alpine 6.5 components and 12inch ported and boxed sub.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22808_Axxess-ASWC.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9904_Scosche-GM09SR-GM09SRB.html

I just installed my radio Monday night. I got the Sosche harness at Walmart for 40.00 and the metra plate 95-2009 plate on Amazon. If you have bose onstar now yours maybe different but mine turned out to be pretty straight foward and everything was color matched. With the exception of a few wires like illumination orange wire to orange and white wire. and where to tap into reverse wire if your using a back up camera. I am still not 100% on that. Since my RCA cord was short I haven't bothered yet.
Good luck.

OP
OP
TahoeSSer

TahoeSSer

Reaction score
I just installed my radio Monday night. I got the Sosche harness at Walmart for 40.00 and the metra plate 95-2009 plate on Amazon. If you have bose onstar now yours maybe different but mine turned out to be pretty straight foward and everything was color matched. With the exception of a few wires like illumination orange wire to orange and white wire. and where to tap into reverse wire if your using a back up camera. I am still not 100% on that. Since my RCA cord was short I haven't bothered yet.
Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, it gives me some confidence that I can do it on my own. So you found out the hard way it was the orange to orange and white...and that was the combo to provide illumination for the steering wheel controls...Guess you didn't keep your chime? I figure I'd keep mine as I find myself more immersed on where I'm going versus always looking at the guages. Figure it's worth the $40-50 in the long run once everything is all wired up and tucked away.

I don't have a backup cam, nor do I have Onstar so no need for the anything extra.

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
{Quote}Thanks for the feedback, it gives me some confidence that I can do it on my own. So you found out the hard way it was the orange to orange and white...and that was the combo to provide illumination for the steering wheel controls...Guess you didn't keep your chime? {Quote}

No I asked on here about the wiring before I installed. I connected the orange to orange and white because I was told to. I don't have dimmer control on the pioneer but they said it had something to do with lighting at day and night. The Scosche harness I bought at Walmart allowed me to keep the chime.

BigDawg99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which scoshce harness did you buy at walmart....ive got the 02 and not really worrying about the On-Star and the chime..ive only seen the scosche harnesses at walmart also..If you can give me some Part numbers for the wireharness and Mounting kit..i would really appreciate it...

groundscr8pr

flaccid member
Reaction score
which scoshce harness did you buy at walmart....ive got the 02 and not really worrying about the On-Star and the chime..ive only seen the scosche harnesses at walmart also..If you can give me some Part numbers for the wireharness and Mounting kit..i would really appreciate it...

the 2 guys above have class 2 data in there truck (03 and newer). the harness for there's is diff. as stated in the other thread you have going all you need is a metra 70 -1858

skyl3rm

Ahoy hoy
Reaction score
metra 70 -1858 is the harness one would need for an 01 tahoe? I dont care about onstar, but im also needing to order one.

PavementPounder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did mine, not too bad. Make sure when you install the swc that the wire you use for 12v is not the headlights. I tapped into a junction box and they worked fine at dark but during the day the controls didn't work. Took a minute to figure it out. On the bose integration module, make sure to adjust the output screw before you get it all together also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24