head light replacement instructions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how do you replace drive side head light
Year, make and model?

For most of the GMT900 SUVs, the easiest way is to open the hood, turn the front wheels in the direction that will open up access to the front of the wheel well. Remove the forward portion of the inner fender liner, and remove the 10mm bolts that hold the headlight assembly in place on the top and bottom. Then pull the assembly forward, remove and replace the bulb.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
08 Yukon lights, I don’t miss dealing with them. Replace both lights at the same time with a daylight colored (not blue) from PIAA.

I mention this Japanese brand specifically because they’re overbuilt and used by racers. Of all of the aftermarket bulbs, they last the longest without the half-life factor other high output bulbs like Sylvania and other brands sell.

The backside of the bulb housing are brittle and really stuck to the housing from the heat. It’s best to remove the entire front facia for 100% access to both lights. BE SURE to also replace the tiny bulbs in the amber side reflectors that probably aren’t even working right now. You’ll end up with color matching headlights on both sides, the longest possible bulb life and zero damage to the crispy harness without cut up hands.

It took me 30 minutes the first time I removed the facia on our YXL Denali by really going slow. After that it only takes 10 minutes on or off. Enjoy the upgrade and keep in mind it’s a perfect time to buy a headlight polish kit with the housings safely away from the paint.