Head Gasket Time??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 98 2 door Tahoe with the good old 350. Truck has 235k miles on the clock. A year ago I had a bad coolant leak and changed the lower intake manifold gaskets, water pump and valve cover gaskets. Changed timing chain and sprokets and oil pan gasket while I was at it. A year later I still have a slow coolant leak. Its much, much slower than before. It seams to be internal because there are no visable signs of leaking. I probably loose 10 to 20 ounces of coolant between oil changes. I'm seeing no signs of coolant in the oil or vice versa. No signs of vapors/condensation under the oil fill cap. The only signs I'm seeing is a slightly to moderately wet exhaust and a sweet coolant smell when I get out of the truck. The truck runs great all the time and doesn't overheat. Any other tests to perform before I tear into this project? Am I on the right path to solving the coolant leak. Thanks

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a cracked head ... If you tore it down to the point to do timing chain and oil pan gasket, new head gaskets were only a few more hours of work.

OP
OP
W

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know. Bonehead move not changing out the head gaskets when I had it all apart allready.

I used all quality parts. I used the fel-pro gasket kit and a gm water pump, timing chain, sprokets and front cover.

This weekend I'll pull the plugs to inspect them.

OP
OP
W

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I searched for receipts for the lower intake manifold gaskets but cant find them. So, I'm thinking it was a felpro kit I picked up from Oreilly. Dont know anything other than that.

I pulled the spark plugs yesterday. They were changed about 2.5 years ago and have about 43K miles on them. All of the above mentioned work was done at that time, not a year ago. What do ya'll think?

Attachments

• DSC03549.jpg
    DSC03549.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03550.jpg
    DSC03550.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03551.jpg
    DSC03551.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC03552.jpg
    DSC03552.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 30

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks fine to me, the redish area is deposits from additives, the white ash is normal. You may have a fuel distribution issue as seen from the amt of ash that changes from one cylinder to the next.

OP
OP
W

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will pull a plug this afternoon and get a model number for you. I changed out the injectors to the new/upgraded style from Delphi about a year and a half ago. Thanks for the help guys!

OP
OP
W

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a while. Plugs are AC Delco 41-993, 19256067. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan