Has anyone dropped a 00-06 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Z71 tahoe and I want to drop it but I am just concerned how it may look.
I am changing the huge roof rack with slim rails hopefully escalade ones.
I don't know if the steps should come off, but there are plastic moldings that are molded to the step brackets.

Well I guess my main question would be, is there anyone that has dropped one and if so what setup have you done? Also any pics would be great.

Thanks in advance..

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did one for a co worker of mine. 3" Lowering springs and shock extenders in the rear and keys up front. Looks really good. He replaced the roof rack as well, don't have pics of it though but this is Ty's Z71 with a similar drop..

Tybardy's Z71

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
look at the 3/5.5 i posted few days ago. Rides really good and customer had a horrible ride with the old set up which now is not a problem. Espectailly wiht the rear djm trailblazer coils.

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped mine with Eibach 3" drop springs in the rear and shock extenders. Scraped the tow hitch every time backing out of my driveway and looked a little lowrider-ish for my taste, so pulled the springs off after a few weeks and sold them.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A few folks on the Z71tahoe site have lowered theirs. Not my taste for a Z71, but to each their own!

OP
OP
swtz71

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few folks on the Z71tahoe site have lowered theirs. Not my taste for a Z71, but to each their own!

Thanks, I know it's supposed to be higher, I have Keys and spacers plus 285's but I can't fit in the garage at work. also I am trying to do a complete new look so I don't get sick of it and sell it for the newer body style. LOL

Tahoe06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am confused by the desire to lower a Z71.... I have a 2006 Z71 and all I want to do it make it taller...

But everyone is different, I know if I had a 2WD I would probably lower it

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the look of lifted trucks/suvs and obviously lowered trucks/suvs. When i bought mine, there was as much chance of lifting it as there was lowering it, ended up going down and im liking the way it looks, maybe when i get bored with it, i'll lift it up, people can do whatever they want to their truck and thats just fine with me. Ive had it in the back of my head for awhile to bring the tahoe up and pick up maybe like an 82'ish 1500 2wd and have it on the ground and satisfy both ends of things

boostedgsxr1k

Reaction score
SO Question. Is there a kit to lower the z71 and not replace the shocks? I am looking fo like keys in front and springs in rear. I adjusted the front torsion bar in front and lowered it to the max and really liked the look. It lowered it approx 2 1/4 inches. So 3" keys and sprongs in the back? TONY PLEASE CHIME IN AND HELP ME!!!

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO Question. Is there a kit to lower the z71 and not replace the shocks? I am looking fo like keys in front and springs in rear. I adjusted the front torsion bar in front and lowered it to the max and really liked the look. It lowered it approx 2 1/4 inches. So 3" keys and sprongs in the back? TONY PLEASE CHIME IN AND HELP ME!!!

It would be the same kits that lower other 4wd tahoes. I went with a mcgaughys 2/3 kit with the spindles and coils and later bought a set of keys cause i like a bit of rake.
The rears on these are approx. 1 1/2"-2" higher than non z71s so when you take your prelowering measurements, its gunna be that much lower. My back lowered a hair under 5" and the front is around 4" with my drop keys cranked all the way UP, uncranking them will just make the front wheels tuck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec