GPS gone. Compass gone. XM radio gone. How to diagnose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Has anyone had trouble with GPS, Compass, and XM radio all going out around the same time?

Read a few posts online that the antenna could be leaking but am not sure how a leak to the antenna is going to cause all 3 to go out.... is there a GPS unit behind the radio or something that I can check to specifically confirm what has failed?

If I leave the XM radio station tuned it will eventually connect for a couple seconds after 15-20 minutes and then go out again.

Thanks for the help

IMG_20200819_075621.jpg IMG_20200819_075732.jpg InkedIMG_20200819_075606_LI.jpg

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Onstar gone (red light on Onstar mirro)
My GPS Gone (antenna reception logo crossed in red)

Not sure why either, I tried driving in a circle.

I havent tried disconnecting the batteries

I just figure it's because its a shit pile GM product.

you buy a 10k$ corolla and can drive it until the wheels falloff and have standard adaptive cruise and lane keep assist,
but my close to 60k msrp suburban has stuff like this and much more....

I give up.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My Onstar gone (red light on Onstar mirro)
My GPS Gone (antenna reception logo crossed in red)

Not sure why either, I tried driving in a circle.

I havent tried disconnecting the batteries

I just figure it's because its a shit pile GM product.

you buy a 10k$ corolla and can drive it until the wheels falloff and have standard adaptive cruise and lane keep assist,
but my close to 60k msrp suburban has stuff like this and much more....

I give up.

Rush down and trade it in on a 4Runner and be happy. Then you can have a "shit pile" Toyota you love so much. Can't go thru life like this. You need to be happy.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Has anyone had trouble with GPS, Compass, and XM radio all going out around the same time?

Read a few posts online that the antenna could be leaking but am not sure how a leak to the antenna is going to cause all 3 to go out.... is there a GPS unit behind the radio or something that I can check to specifically confirm what has failed?

If I leave the XM radio station tuned it will eventually connect for a couple seconds after 15-20 minutes and then go out again.

Thanks for the help

View attachment 255193 View attachment 255194 View attachment 255195

Get a bi-directional scan tool on the truck and it will tell you in moments what is up. When the gasket around my shark fin was leaking, water would drip down the COAX cable and knock out the GPS and Onstar until it evaporated and all was well again.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rush down and trade it in on a 4Runner and be happy. Then you can have a "shit pile" Toyota you love so much. Can't go thru life like this. You need to be happy.
Trigger alert:

that's a good point. I already drive a Nissan Leaf, might as well keep going *** and ditch my last POS domestic car.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like the right thing to do. You should then find forums for the LEAF and the COROLLA and make yourself completely happy. Brush up on your Japanese vocabulary too. Sayonara.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the right thing to do. You should then find forums for the LEAF and the COROLLA and make yourself completely happy. Brush up on your Japanese vocabulary too. Sayonara.

all Joking asides, we love our suburban, as a large family, the only other option is a minivan (been there done that) or a full size van.

while I am crazy and would love a conversion van like a Savannah Explorer Short roof, realistically this suburban is perfect for us.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the problem on my 16 and 17 Suburbans. In both cases, the shark antenna needed replacement because water had ruined the connections which disabled the compass and made Onstar think I was someplace I was not.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the high frequency antenna. They get water inside them and they fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792