Got these fancy headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onenicedenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They have LED parking lights in them and they are big. They look good when they on with the headlights. I’d like for them to be on instead of the DRL headlights. How would I reconfigure wiring to keep the LED parking lights on?

OP
OP
O

Onenicedenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It would help to know the year make and model rig that you’re working on, and phots of said headlights to determine how to help setup LEDs.
I got a little ahead of myself. Thank you for letting me know. It’s a 2012 Yukon XL Denali. I’ll include a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1769.jpeg
    IMG_1769.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 14

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to have to figure out and offer up a lot more information than a picture of your rig with the headlights if you're looking for help and input on how to have the LED parking light strips illuminate as the DRL. Especially since they're aftermarket.

How does the LED strip operate now?
What illuminates as the DRL?
If you use the headlight switch and turn from auto to just parking/running lights does the DRL strip illuminate by itself that way?
Is the to projector low beam and bottom reflector high beam?
What connections or plus are on the back of the headlight housing?

Reaction score
The Yukon uses the low beam headlight bulb as the DRL, unlike the Tahoe which has a seperate bulb for it.

These housings have the LED bar wired with the parking lights. They can easily be rewired to the low beam harness and come on when the headlights are on, but not sure if they'd come on with the DRLs since the DRL circuit uses a lower voltage to the low beam headlight. Even if the LED bar works with the lower voltage, the low beam headlight will still come on also as a DRL

@Doubeleive bought some headlight housings that have a LED C shaped strip in them that gets wired directly to somewhere under the hood that come on as the DRL, but they were pricey, like $1200. Maybe he has more insight how to wire these, or what needs to be done to just have the LED as the DRL

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it really depends on how those C lights are wired up or if they are wired internally somehow, if they have seperate wires you can do as you please with them
as already stated we need much more information on the wiring.
maybe pull one out and show the connection and what was done when they were installed? typically there is a couple extra wires.
on my morimoto's the extra wire goes to the fuse box I think, they have been installed for a while now

OP
OP
O

Onenicedenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it really depends on how those C lights are wired up or if they are wired internally somehow, if they have seperate wires you can do as you please with them
as already stated we need much more information on the wiring.
maybe pull one out and show the connection and what was done when they were installed? typically there is a couple extra wires.
on my morimoto's the extra wire goes to the fuse box I think, they have been installed for a while now
Hope these pics help. They are from the manufacturer. They were plug and play for my Yukon.

Attachments

• IMG_1840.png
    IMG_1840.png
    756.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1839.png
    IMG_1839.png
    664.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1838.png
    IMG_1838.png
    875.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1837.png
    IMG_1837.png
    756.7 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
I have the same headlights, but smoked. I noticed a couple months ago that the thin, clear coating on the outside of the lens, is starting to flake near the top edge. I installed them in March of 2020. The clear on my black GMC grill emblem is doing the same, and also the top of the aftermarket rear spoiler with the full length smoked HMSL. They were all installed around the same time.

Anyway, these headlights have two plug connectors. One for the parking and turn signal, and one for the high/low headlights. The LED bar is spliced into the harness with the parking lights

20220819_175653.jpg

20220819_175625.jpg

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's a fuse in the under hood fuse box that has power with the key on and off. you will have to find the other wire from the led bar and wire it to that.

without a wiring diagram, you're going to have to take it apart and figure it out.. then run a fuse tap off that fuse to those wires.

OP
OP
O

Onenicedenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same headlights, but smoked. I noticed a couple months ago that the thin, clear coating on the outside of the lens, is starting to flake near the top edge. I installed them in March of 2020. The clear on my black GMC grill emblem is doing the same, and also the top of the aftermarket rear spoiler with the full length smoked HMSL. They were all installed around the same time.

Anyway, these headlights have two plug connectors. One for the parking and turn signal, and one for the high/low headlights. The LED bar is spliced into the harness with the parking lights

View attachment 405625

View attachment 405626
The lights really made a difference on mine. You might like these bulbs, they are super bright.
HIKARI 2023 Future 30000LM H7 LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1MJ4LFZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Too bad about the peeling. I put 303 on mine and do after every wash. Hopefully that will slow it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts