Good time to do a head gasket change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this on ebay and was wanting to know
- what is the advantage of this gasket set over a dealer?
- should I wait to do headers before installing a new set?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0122819886&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

It has the following included:
Graphite head gasket
Intake manifold gasket
Exhaust manifold gasket
Valve cover gasket
Viton valve stem seals
Camshaft front
O-rings.
Other Small Gaskets

Thanks,
BOSS

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
I would not go with a dealer kit. I also would not go with this or any other Ebay kit.

What I would go with is a Fel-Pro head gasket set. I've used them in the past and have had 0 comebacks, pertaining to the Fel-Pro products.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Felpro all the way, and get some L92 heads along with a nasty cam while you have it apart :imo:

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no reason to replace the head gasket unless they are blown. They usually only blow if the engine has been SEVERLY over heated and there is coolant in the oil or exhaust gas in the radiator. They very rarely ever blown on GM trucks. It is a major job. If a vehicle has high mileage or coolant mixing with oil (enough to do damage to bearings) it is not recommended to go the head gasket because chances are the engine will not last long after. In that case it is recommended to replace the engine instead.

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not have to remove the heads to replace a cam

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use Fel-pro. Don't cheap out on gaskets or you chance having to tear down the components again to install another gasket(s).

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
Felpro all the way, and get some L92 heads along with a nasty cam while you have it apart :imo:

i always like where your heads at... one of these days when my wallet catches us, im driving to denver and we are tearin into my motor!!

hey MDTahoe... this was always the impresion i was under as well, i had an old Toyota supra that i did a head gasket in (blew it) and had to re-do it 4 times (block, not the heads, was warped). Long story short, i always figured a head gasket would stay on untill it decided itself not to be there lol, but i am also a student not a teacher of auto mechanics so sometime i refrain from adding my .02

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xmen_1217