Going from a 2016 Tahoe to a 2019 Yukon XL Denali...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dtuna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Long time reader/lurker, first-time caller ha ha.... Long story short, we've been bouncing from Air Base to Air Base in the ole "Trusty Hoe" packed to the gills due to 3 kids, 2 dogs, and my Better Half wanting to take the kitchen sink. After this most recent trip, we decided to pull the trigger on a bigger vehicle, which is a 2019 Yukon XL Denali with 51k miles. Anything that I should be on the lookout for when we go and test drive in a few days? Looking for any advice or warning signs that will indicate whether this thing is a turd or not.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Thank you for your service! Good move--excellent choice!

OP
OP
D

Dtuna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you both! Do you know if the 2019s have the same lifter issues after x amount of miles like the '16 vehicles did in regards to AFM/DFM?

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, if the oil changes are done every 5k or less, it lessens the risk of AFM failure, alot of the main issues happens when dirty oil is left to the oil change monitor, so look at carfax and check the service on it, that will tell alot. The 19 should be in the middle of the afm lifter crap shoot. The 10 speed is the huge plus on the 18 and up. Maintenance and service records tell alot about how it was done. Beware of local lube shop records sometimes unless its a decent shop. Even larger brands still scam, so just check it out tip to tip.

The XL is always nice with the extra cargo room...

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Long time reader/lurker, first-time caller ha ha.... Long story short, we've been bouncing from Air Base to Air Base in the ole "Trusty Hoe" packed to the gills due to 3 kids, 2 dogs, and my Better Half wanting to take the kitchen sink. After this most recent trip, we decided to pull the trigger on a bigger vehicle, which is a 2019 Yukon XL Denali with 51k miles. Anything that I should be on the lookout for when we go and test drive in a few days? Looking for any advice or warning signs that will indicate whether this thing is a turd or not.
It is a hit or miss just like everything else.

With that said I have 140K miles on my 2016 Tahoe which I got brand new. So far knock on wood. Oil gets changed every 5K miles with 0w20 Mobil 1 or AC Delco if the dealer services it.

I speak to owners all the time who own the [2015-2020] 5.3 and 6.2. So far have not come across anyone from Miami-NYC who had lifter issues. To my surprise most owners do service their vehicles every 5-6K miles.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you both! Do you know if the 2019s have the same lifter issues after x amount of miles like the '16 vehicles did in regards to AFM/DFM?
it's been a ongoing issue for random vehicles since they started using the feature around 2009 or so, keep the oil changed and you should be fine.