GM Quality Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
September 2020 built Denali that has the following fit and finish issues:

1. Center console doors misaligned. When I was shopping around I noticed some like mine and some that were aligned properly. They remain open most of the time so it's not a huge deal to me.

Console.jpg

2. A little hard to see with all black, but the passenger dash (top) wood trim butts flush on the left, then there is noticeable gap as it moves right towards the a/c vent.

Dash.jpg

3. Hard to get a good photo, but my driver side rear door is not aligned flush with the body.

Anyone else have these issues? Makes me wonder how this stuff passes quality control.

Last edited:

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely some quality issues. I've reported many on this site.
My driver door is not flush at the top, which I think contributes to the noise I hear at my left ear. There is not enough tension being applied at the top door seals, so the plastic trim makes ticking sounds as the door pulses in/out going down the road. I can mimic this sound by lightly touching the plastic trim.

Also is a strange trim piece that protrudes out farther than the weather stripping. Pic below.

upload_2020-10-27_12-55-24.png

However, most of the interior is pretty good. They could have used better plastics, as they feel cheap in most applications. It seems the plastics used around the doors/windows is very cheap as well.

I'm just getting tired of taking it in to the dealer. It's still a quiet ride and I'm trying not to be so **** about everything. No water leaks or excessive wind noise, so I'm ok with it.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s GM guys. There never was quality control.
For the record, top of the drivers door on my 19 yukon denali is the same and yes I hear a slight wind noise, I heard it the day I drove it home from the dealership and I still hear it. The passenger door on my 13 was the same.
Bottom line, it’s General Motors. Most American car manufacturers are the same, you’ll find it across the board.

OP
OP
Y

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s GM guys. There never was quality control.
For the record, top of the drivers door on my 19 yukon denali is the same and yes I hear a slight wind noise, I heard it the day I drove it home from the dealership and I still hear it. The passenger door on my 13 was the same.
Bottom line, it’s General Motors. Most American car manufacturers are the same, you’ll find it across the board.

I get it, but at what point does GM no longer get a pass when a Yukon is 80K+ and the Escalade is (gasp) 100K+?

ThomasKelly1952

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't think that you are being so ****. What are they saying at the dealership that is making you feel **** and not them feeling that they are letting you down.
History: my new car had a cracking sound from the front end when I reversed down my driveway. After 3 times to the dealer and paying a deductible each time as the were telling me they couldn't find anything wrong I gave up. About a year later I brought it into another dealer for an oil change. There on the invoice was a note saying that the car was unsafe to drive because one of the ball joints was defective and needed to be replaced or else I had to sign that I was taking the car in an undriveable condition. I did take it and drove it for 17 years after that.
What I am saying is: get them to fix it while it is under warranty to your satisfaction or go to another dealership and get them to fix it. It will be on your mind for years.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it, but at what point does GM no longer get a pass when a Yukon is 80K+ and the Escalade is (gasp) 100K+?
They don’t get a pass, even with the 07-14 nnbs models...very well documented that the dash cracks.... never did a thing about it... maybe offer someone $100 off install and part but still... they are what they are and people will accept it or buy something else ....and they are ok with that. I can go with problems on every model.... seriously

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well look on the bright side. At least yours is running and on the road. Mine has been out of service since October 10th with a bad fuel pump control module that they can't get their hands on yet. Once I hit the 30 day mark I will most likely take advantage of the lemon law in my state and lease a new diesel tahoe instead of buying one like our current tahoe. At least I would only be stuck with a POS vehicle for 3 years instead of owning a POS vehicle. Very disappointed with GM but very happy with our dealership though. They have us in a 2021 tahoe so we at least have the feel of our vehicle :) Kudos to them.

Dave Mathews

Reaction score
They don’t get a pass, even with the 07-14 nnbs models...very well documented that the dash cracks.... never did a thing about it... maybe offer someone $100 off install and part but still... they are what they are and people will accept it or buy something else ....and they are ok with that. I can go with problems on every model.... seriously
Yup all those garage doors on the Mercedes, BMW, Audi,and Lexus dealers are just for changing oil. Swing by any of their boards and you will hear the same type complaints on the same vehicles you pay 20 grand more for than the Chevy.

twernst

Reaction score
Just a question has anyone noticed that the "Tahoe" "Denali" labels on the doors are misaligned. I have seen several at the dealers and several on the road where the driver's side is angled up at the end up the work and on the passenger the lettering is level.

I must have freaked one guy out last weekend as I did a circle around his Tahoe on the highway just to have my daughter confirm my eyes weren't playing tricks. ;)

OP
OP
Y

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a question has anyone noticed that the "Tahoe" "Denali" labels on the doors are misaligned. I have seen several at the dealers and several on the road where the driver's side is angled up at the end up the work and on the passenger the lettering is level.

I must have freaked one guy out last weekend as I did a circle around his Tahoe on the highway just to have my daughter confirm my eyes weren't playing tricks. ;)

You know what you are right. I thought mine looked "off" and didn't look at them closely until now. Upon inspection, they are definitely not level. Both sides are crooked and tilt higher as they move away from the hood. I assume these are applied by a robot? I don't think a human in Texas could apply these consistently perfectly crooked on every truck?

Take a look at this YouTube and pause it at 1:21 - 1:23. That's exactly how my driver's side looks. GM...:(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99

Latest posts