GM Performance Exhaust - Accessory vs adding to order - Black vs Chrome tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 21 Yukon Denali and was going to purchase the GM Performance Exhaust. When I went to the GMC accessories site, they only list 1 option for exhaust which has polished chrome tips according to description/pictures but when you build a Yukon with the Build and Price tool, there are two options to add to the factory build, one with the same polished chrome tips and one with black tips. I want to one with the black tips but not sure how to order since the black tip option doesn’t show on the accessories site to order. Anyone know if it’s possible to order the black tip exhaust or is it only available when placing a custom order?? Part number of version with black tips?

OP
OP
L

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well caved in and ordered the GMC performance exhaust with the polished chrome tips. Figure I will just paint the tips myself. But…got notice that it’s back ordered. Doh.

OP
OP
L

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My GM performance exhaust finally came in. Getting installed on the 14th. Won’t be able to paint tips before hand so will have to handle as step 2 on my own.

Frant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same question - did you try calling the accessories phone number? I called them last week & they were not helpful. Can you share unboxed photos? There’s only a few online.

OP
OP
L

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same question - did you try calling the accessories phone number? I called them last week & they were not helpful. Can you share unboxed photos? There’s only a few online.
I go on Thursday this week for install. I didn’t call myself but my dealer did and got no where. I gave up and just ordered the chrome tips and will paint them myself after they are on my Yukon. I’ll try to get some pics if the dealer will let me in the shop while they install. Was originally going on Tuesday but they pushed my appointment 2 days to Thursday. Also getting the black emblems and black mirror caps installed at the same time.

Frant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I go on Thursday this week for install. I didn’t call myself but my dealer did and got no where. I gave up and just ordered the chrome tips and will paint them myself after they are on my Yukon. I’ll try to get some pics if the dealer will let me in the shop while they install. Was originally going on Tuesday but they pushed my appointment 2 days to Thursday. Also getting the black emblems and black mirror caps installed at the same time.
Okay, thanks for the update. Please post pics. My truck is an RST so it already has mostly blacked out parts. I’m curious how the high polished tips will contrast.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave up and just ordered the chrome tips and will paint them myself after they are on my Yukon.

Wouldn’t it be easier to paint the tips now before they’re even installed?

They’re brand new, no road grime, brand new clean surface which will be less surface prep and result in a better adhesion of whatever paint you’re using.

OP
OP
L

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be easier to paint the tips now before they’re even installed?

They’re brand new, no road grime, brand new clean surface which will be less surface prep and result in a better adhesion of whatever paint you’re using.
Yes except the dealer that is doing the install is an hour away so I would have to drive out and back to get the tips, then back for the install day. For some reason when I order from the GMC accessories website, it doesn’t let me pick the dealer that is 10 mins away for pickup or install, closest option was an hour away, shipping for the exhaust was like $220 unless it was delivered to a dealer which was free. No idea why. You could also prepay for install which was $176 which was about 2 hours of shop time at their hour rate so I didn’t think that was to bad. They quoted me 1 additional hour of shop time to do the emblems, GMC badges and mirror caps.

Frant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes except the dealer that is doing the install is an hour away so I would have to drive out and back to get the tips, then back for the install day. For some reason when I order from the GMC accessories website, it doesn’t let me pick the dealer that is 10 mins away for pickup or install, closest option was an hour away, shipping for the exhaust was like $220 unless it was delivered to a dealer which was free. No idea why. You could also prepay for install which was $176 which was about 2 hours of shop time at their hour rate so I didn’t think that was to bad. They quoted me 1 additional hour of shop time to do the emblems, GMC badges and mirror caps.
Yeah, I called two dealers nearest me. One told me $575 to install the dual exhaust. The other said it would be 2 hours shop time at least and I was better off paying for it up front for $274. The tax was a killer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts