GM Bulletin on aftermarket air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daves09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know air intakes have many threads. But had to take my 17 Tahoe to the dealership because there was hesitation and shifting problems. They drove it all day. And came to the conclusion that it was something with the transmission. There was a bulletin out on the transmission. About flushing it out twice to get the computer to relearn the shift patterns. Upon further review when they popped my hood they found out I had an after-market air intake system. I bought one about 8 months ago from SLP performance. It had been acting up I would say since I put the new system in. But I thought it was just a computer trying to learn. It has gotten worse as a months have gone by. So their conclusion is GM has a bulletin out that says it will void your warranty if you have an oil based air filter or any type of cold air intake. They are not to look at your vehicle unless the original equipment is in the vehicle. So just a heads up to everyone out there with air intake systems might check with your dealer to find out if it will void your warranty. My dealer has the bulletin from GM and I have it in my Tahoe. And it states in there that it will void your warranty.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say they have some explaining to do......since I just had a brand new crate motor put in mine just a few months ago and they put my k&n Blackhawk back on it just like it came in with and I have a 3yr 100k warranty.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and if this is the case then put the original air box back in and take it to any other gm dealer they all do the same thing, Cadillac,GMC, CHEVY doesn't matter which one you take it to.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That particular dealer is making excuses...like double and swath said .. GM SELLS THIS STUFF FOR THEIR VEHICLES...

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP... You say you have this bulletin in your Tahoe that the dealer gave you and it states this? (assuming its a hard copy) Would it be possible for you to post the GM Bulletin Number or feel free to scan the document in and post them as photos.

OP
OP
daves09

daves09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OP... You say you have this bulletin in your Tahoe that the dealer gave you and it states this? (assuming its a hard copy) Would it be possible for you to post the GM Bulletin Number or feel free to scan the document in and post them as photos.

I asked the same question. Doesn't GM make an after market cold air in duction kit. And I got a " Yes " answer. But they stopped looking at it to tell me to take it back to stock. I even had the warranty advisor tell me to go back stock. So last night it went back stock. The issues seemed to have stopped when I took it for a test drive. But we will see. And yes I will upload photos of the bulletins

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the issue resolved seems to have resolved itself with the stock intake i would call slp. not all intakes actually work on the vehicles they are sold for without a tune. totally different vehicle but my civic for example an aftermarket intake has to have a choke point at the maf or i get a cel and a real lean condition. if an aftermarket doesn't have that choke point a tune will correct the issue. the gm 2.4l cars in the 07 style had the same issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC